Connect with us

World

Nigeria Must Believe In One China Policy For Full Cooperation – Chinese Government

Published

on

Chinese President

The Government of the People’s Republic of China (PRC), on Friday said that it would need more commitment and mutual trust from Nigeria, to be able strengthen its win-win cooperation with Nigeria.

Amb. Dai Bing, Deputy Director General at China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Department of African Affairs, said that his government had heard that there was currently a Taiwanese Official Office in Nigeria.

Dai told a delegation of visiting Nigerian Journalists in Beijing, China that with the long existing relations between China and Nigeria, the Chinese Government would want Nigeria to believe in the One China policy.

“China is a responsible country. We do not want our cooperation with any country to fail. China has always seen Nigeria as a major partner in Africa. We, therefore, wish to get Nigeria’s support in the unification of China.

“We want Nigeria to know that China is still not unified. We still have our issues with Taiwan. We really want to have one China. We have heard that there is currently a Taiwanese Office in Nigeria.

“There should be a politically mutual trust between Nigeria and China. We believe that mutual trust should be very important in China/Nigeria relations,’’ he said.

The deputy director general said that China and Nigeria’s relations had so far witnessed good progress, as well as some shortcomings that both countries urgently needed to address.

Dai said that the Chinese government was committed to the realisation of the agreements reached at the Forum on China and African Cooperation (FOCAC) in Johannesburg, South Africa.

The Chinese Envoy said that his government would want African countries to begin to initiate projects for themselves, agree on such projects and execute such projects themselves.

“We want Africans to know that Africa is Africans’ Africa, and that China is only part of the international cooperation with African countries.

“We are, however, very prepared to support other international partners for the development of Africa. We want Africans to initiate their projects and have these projects executed by Africans.

“We want African countries to know that we cannot be responsible for their overall development. We can only be responsible for some specific projects on social and economic efficiency,’’ he added.

(NAN)

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

New Zealand Discharges Its Last Coronavirus Patient From The Hospital

Published

on

New Zealand has discharged the last case of coronavirus in the country and recorded no new cases of COVID-19 for five days consecutively, ministry of health officials announced on Wednesday.

The last coronavirus (COVID-19) patient to be discharged in New Zealand was being treated at Middlemore Hospital in Auckland.

During a press briefing on Wednesday, officials shared the hopeful statistics. The total number of recovered cases is now at 1,462, and there are just 21 remaining active cases of COVID-19.

The country has conducted a total of 267,435 coronavirus tests and contact tracers are working to monitor the remaining cases through the NZ COVID Tracer app.

New Zealand also launched another app on Wednesday, which will provide health care professionals with access to information on the updated case definition, on local clinical pathways, and on guidance around use of personal protective equipment.

New Zealand borders has slowly been opened, which has been “so important for us to keep the infection out of the country,” public health official Dr. Ashley Bloomfield said during the press conference. Bloomfield also credited proper hygiene such as hand washing.

In late April, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that New Zealand had “won” the battle against widespread community transmission of the virus.

Ardern said that to fully “succeed” in the fight against the coronavirus, the country must “hunt down” the remaining cases of the virus. “There is no widespread, undetected community transmission in New Zealand. We have won that battle,” said Ardern. “But we must remain vigilant if we are to keep it that way.”

Continue Reading

Top Story

Trump Threatens To “Close Down Social Media” After Twitter Puts Warning On His Tweet

Published

on

donald trump

United States president, Donald Trump has threatened to close down social media platforms, a day after Twitter posted a fact-checking notice on one of his tweets.

Trump’s threat comes a day after Twitter Inc. for the first time added a warning to some of his tweets that prompted readers to fact check the president’s tweet that claimed mail-in ballots could allow widespread voter fraud. It immediately led to a presidential eruption accusing the platform of “completely stifling FREE SPEECH”.

Donald Trump insinuated that social media firms suppressed conservative points of view, then said that his administration would “strongly regulate [the companies] or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen”.

On Wednesday, he tweeted:

“Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen. We saw what they attempted to do, and failed, in 2016. We can’t let a more sophisticated version of that happen again.

“Just like we can’t let large scale Mail-In Ballots take root in our Country. It would be a free for all on cheating, forgery and the theft of Ballots. Whoever cheated the most would win. Likewise, Social Media. Clean up your act, NOW!!!!”

Continue Reading

World

George Floyd: 4 White Police Officers Fired After Killing Black Man [VIDEO]

Published

on

4 Minneapolis police officers have been fired from their job for their involvement in the killing of a black man, George Floyd.

In a video that went viral on social media, the man was seen held down with a knee as he protested that he couldn’t breathe, officials said Tuesday.

The FBI is investigating the incident, which drew widespread condemnation of the officers after a video showing part of the encounter circulated on social media, CNN reports.

The death of George Floyd, 46, drew hundreds of people to the streets of Minneapolis on Tuesday.

Protesters — many wearing face masks — held “I can’t breathe” signs and chanted together near the site of Monday’s incident. Some motorists honked in support.

Later in the evening, police attempted to disperse the crowds outside the Minneapolis Police 3rd Precinct after a front glass window was smashed.

The four officers were “separated from employment,” Officer Garrett Parten, a police spokesman, said Tuesday.

“I support your decisions, one hundred percent,” said Mayor Jacob Frey, in a statement about police Chief Medaria Arradondo’s firing of the officers. “It is the right decision for our city. The right decision for our community, it is the right decision for the Minneapolis Police Department.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

HOTTEST TOPICS