More revelations have emerged on the alleged conspiracy of the US in the electoral defeat of former President Goodluck Jonathan in 2015.
Jonathan had claimed that former American President Barack Obama, was responsible for his loss.
According to excerpts from the book, Jonathan had said, “President Barack Obama and his officials made it very clear to me by their actions that they wanted a change of government in Nigeria and we’re ready to do anything to achieve that purpose. They even brought some naval ships into the Gulf of Guinea in the days preceding the election.”
Meanwhile, the US has since denied the allegation, insisting that Jonathan lost the elections because Nigerians wanted him out.
In an advance copy of ‘Against the Run of Play’, a book written by Segun Adeniyi, Babangida Aliyu, former Niger state governor and ex-chairman of the Northern Governors Forum, gave a hint of possible US involvement in the electoral defeat of Jonathan, the Daily Post reports.
He said the Obama administration invited 12 northern governors to the US to ascertain their level of commitment to removing Jonathan.
Aliyu said, although he had no proof of this, but expressed the belief that the reason for their invitation to the US was deeper than discussing the Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria.
“I have no proof of course, but I think the idea was to ascertain what the disposition of the north would be to the idea of another term for President Jonathan.
“That was my reading of the situation. I believe it was all about the 2015 election for which the Americans had resolved not to support Jonathan. They just wanted to size us up for the level of commitment to regime change,” Aliyu said.
Aliyu said in one of the sessions, Murtala Nyako, former Adamawa state governor, accused Jonathan of sponsoring Boko Haram with the intent of destroying the north.
He added that Nyako’s accusation signaled to the Americans that the north was not in support Jonathan’s re-election bid.
“If Jonathan had been clever enough to say he would not run and had stuck with the PDP zoning formula by supporting a young northern candidate, I am most certain Buhari would have shelved his ambition to contest in 2015, knowing there was no way he would win,” he said.
The book, which details how Jonathan lost the 2015 election, will be launched on Friday.
Tinubu Is NOT My Man — El-Rufai Declares
Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has publicly admitted to having a personal issue with Bola Tinubu, the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC.
El-rufai admitted to this while speaking at a webinar in commemoration of the 63rd birthday of the former Governor of Osun State, Mr Rauf Aregbesola, on Saturday,
El-Rufai, who didn’t state the kind of differences disclosed that he’s not Tinubu’s “man.”
El-Rufai said: “I want to congratulate my brother, Ogbeni (Aregbesola), on his birthday. You know I’m your man any day.
“I’m not Asiwaju’s man and you are Asiwaju’s man, but I am your man any day. Asiwaju and I have differences but you and I have no differences.”
There are speculations in certain quarters that both El-Rufai and Tinubu are nursing the ambition to become Nigeria’s next president in 2023.
Despite the speculations which have been going on for a while now, both Tinubu and El-Rufai haven’t come out to either deny or admit to such claim.
Buhari, APC Have Set Nigeria 60 Years Backward — PDP
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has taken a dig at the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration describing his five years stewardship as “wasteful, a season of the locusts.”
In a strongly worded statement issued on Friday by Spokesman of the party, Kola Ologbondiyan, on the state of the nation, the PDP said after reviewing the five years of the Buhari administration, both the president and his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) have “taken Nigeria 60 years backward.”
The statement accused Buhari and the APC of turning the country into a wasteland after allegedly destroying the economy.
The statement said under Buhari, May 29, has become “synonymous with the enthronement of incompetence, insensitive leadership, endemic corruption in high places and governance by propaganda and false performance claims.”
It also accused the APC administration of reversing all the “gains achieved by the PDP for which May 29 was always celebrated and left the country dejected and despondent.”
Furthermore, it said under Buhari, Nigerians always grieve on May 29, as it has become “a day for commemoration of failed promises, reversal of gains achieved by past leaders and retrogression in our body polity as a nation.”
The statement reads in part :”This administration has failed woefully in its three major governance planks of provision of security, economic recovery and fight against corruption.
“In the last five years, the APC administration has done nothing but driving our nation along the precipices; reneged on all its campaign promises, ruined our productive sector, frustrated our farmers, manufacturers and small scale entrepreneurs, devalued our naira, wrecked employment opportunities for our youth, turned our once prosperous nation into the poverty capital of the world while accumulating huge foreign debts for this generation and the unborn.
“Under five years, President Buhari has borrowed from every corner of the world. These include external borrowing of $10.72 billion (N4.1 trillion) in 2015, $11.41 billion (N4.4 trillion) in 2016, $18.91 billion (N7.3 trillion) in 2017, $25.27 billion (N9.8 trillion) in 2018, $27.68 billion (N10.7 trillion) in 2019 as well as 2020 loans of $3.4 billion (N1.3 trillion) from IMF, $4.4 million (N1.594 billion) internal borrowing, $22.7 billion (N8.8 trillion) external loan and the recently yet to be approved $5.513 billion (N2.1 trillion) waiting before the National Assembly.
“Our party had already alerted Nigerians that with the volume of borrowing, President Buhari and the APC have placed our nation on the international auction market.
“In the last five years, corruption has also worsened in government circle as shown in Transparency International (TI)’s corruption perception index. Federal Government agencies such as the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) among others have been opened up for pillaging by the cabal in the Presidency and the APC.”
Continuing, the statement noted that the government only pays lip to security as bandits, insurgents and marauders were now having a field day with killings.
“It is distressing that instead of heeding wise counsel to accept failure and avoid making false performance claims, the Buhari Presidency just yesterday, released a list of recycled fictitious achievements, including very insensitive claim of having routed out bandits; even as marauders were pillaging communities and killing our compatriots in Sokoto and other states, particularly in the Northwest.
“A look at the list exposed reused figures and data without corresponding verifiable projects in any part of the country, apart from attempts to appropriate PDP projects,” the statement said.
The party called on the president to wake up to the reality by accepting “failure and seek help since it has become clear that his administration as presently constituted has devastated our nation and leading us on a journey to nowhere.”
No Man Can Stop Me From Returning As Edo Governor — Obaseki Boasts
Governor Godwin Obaseki has confidently declared that he will emerge governor of Edo State, ahead of the governorship election in the State.
Obaseki who spoke as a guest on a Channels TV’s Sunrise Daily on Wednesday, expressed confidence that he will return as the governor of the State.
According to him, no one can stop him because only God gives power.
“I am not a violent person. But I am confident that the way I got into power is the same way I will return.
“God gave me power. If he wants me to return, I will continue. No man can stop me. Power comes from God.”
The governor also rubbished claims that he used the resources of the people of Edo State to become governor.
“I have friends with resources. I worked for eight years behind the scene before I became governor.
“So all that insinuations about using somebody’s resources is not true. I became Governor on the platform of the party and I am grateful for it.
“It does not matter whether it is direct or indirect (primaries), I will win.”
Obaseki’s statement is coming shorty after Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu was endorsed as the consensus candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC.
Recall that Osagie Ize-Iyamu, a former Secretary to Edo State Government (SSG) emerged as the All Progressives Congress (APC) consensus candidate for the state governorship election.
Ize-Iyamu is believed to be loyal to the National Chairman of the party, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole who has been at loggerheads with Governor Obaseki.
- Africa5 days ago
Rwanda Court Jails Ex-Politician For Life Over His Role In The 1994 Genocide
- News5 days ago
NDDC Director Of Finance Dies
- Inside Nigeria7 days ago
Buhari Didn’t Cancel Abba Kyari’s Appointment — Presidency
- Metro4 days ago
Wife Of Ex-Minneapolis Cop Derek Chauvin Files For Divorce After Her Husband Was Charged With George Floyd’s Murder
- Inside Nigeria5 days ago
Buhari Came To ‘Steal, Kill, Destroy’ — Fani-Kayode
- Metro7 days ago
Nigerian Military Subjecting Children To Unlawful Detention — Amnesty International
- Top Story7 days ago
FBI To Probe Death Of Black Man In Minnesota After Arrest
- Inside Nigeria5 days ago
Buhari Has Done Well In Power Supply, Food Sufficiency, Security — FG