Connect with us

Inside Nigeria

N/Army Replies Danjuma Over Alleged Military Collusion With Militias

Published

on

coup in nigeria - Buratai - Nigerian army chief

The Nigerian Army has described the statement attributed to former Chief of Army Staff, Lt-General Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma, that the military was providing cover and colluding with militias and other criminal groups to attack and kill innocent Nigerians across the country, as “unfortunate.”

The director, Army Public Relations, Brig-General Texas Chukwu, who made this known in a statement at the weekend, said while the Army would not want to join issues with the elder statesman, it called on law-abiding people of Taraba State, Danjuma’s home state, to go about their lawful duties.

Chukwu, in the statement, said, “the attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to the unfortunate statement made by a former Chief of Army Staff, Lt-General Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma, during the convocation ceremony of the Taraba State University on Saturday, March 24, 2018, in which he categorically asserted that the armed forces of Nigeria was colluding with militias and other criminal elements and was unable to provide security for the citizens of Taraba State.

“He further called the people of Taraba State to take up arms and defend themselves.

“The Nigerian Army views this statement made by the former Chief of Army Staff as most unfortunate at this critical time that the military has embarked upon demilitarisation of the North Central region of the country.

“While the Nigerian Army would not want to join issues with the elder statesman, however, certain facts need to be clearly stated in the interest of the Taraba people and the Nigerian public:

“The Nigerian Army is constitutionally charged with the responsibility of defending the territorial integrity of Nigeria and to aid the civil authorities, whenever called upon to do so. In this light, the authorisation for the conduct of Ex Ayem Akpatuma was authorised and troops deployed to curb the menace of the herdsmen-farmers’ conflict and other criminal activities in the North Central region, among others.

“It is on record that the successes so far achieved in Ex Ayem Akpatuma have been recognised and accepted by Nigerians.

“The public is notified that Nigerian Army personnel have had to pay the supreme price for ensuring the sustenance of security in Taraba State. For instance, a gallant non-commissioned officer of the Nigerian Army was beheaded on March 16, 2018, in Takum, Taraba State, by criminal elements.

“It is noteworthy to state that, at the inception of Ex Ayem Akpatuma, the Taraba State government, did not cooperate with the Nigerian Army due to the Army’s stance to remain absolutely neutral in the herdsmen-farmers’ crisis. The Nigerian Army will continue to remain as such.

“For avoidance of doubt, the Nigerian Army advises the people of Taraba State and indeed all other Nigerians to continue in their day-to-day activities and be law-abiding, as anyone caught with arms and ammunition will be dealt with in accordance with the laws of the land. Every law-abiding citizen is assured of equal protection and security of their life and property, irrespective of his/her person.”

Advertisement
5 Comments

5 Comments

  1. BiafraUnited

    March 27, 2018 at 5:31 am

    The Nigerian army is a criminal unit headed by the Boko Haram leader, Muhammed Buhari.

  2. Anonymous

    March 26, 2018 at 9:19 pm

    WHAT IS THIS DAFT ILLITERATE COW REPLYING, COW THAT CNT EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH. FOOLISH DIRTY THING, I WONDER THE WOMAN SLEEPING WIT THIS KIND THING.SHE BETTER HV SLEPT WIT A PIG.

  3. Anonymous

    March 26, 2018 at 2:29 pm

    Nigeria military force of terror is a branch of Fulani headsmen and boko haram terrorist group

  4. Anonymous

    March 26, 2018 at 1:47 pm

    The only acceptable reply Nigerians will consider serious is that military indicts or prosecutes T.Y. Danjuma which I know that if Nigeria Army try it many things will be exposed including the drama behind Dachi girls abduction.

    This fulcrumless response from the military hold no water and should not be considered as anything serious. The Buratai and Buhari know the truth and will never try to take it up legally. They what they are doing but their game is over.

  5. Anonymous

    March 26, 2018 at 1:10 pm

    Nigeria Army has nothing to reply.over true comments from TY and seargent bako

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Inside Nigeria

COVID-19: FG To Evacuate Nigerians Abroad — But Not For Free

Published

on

Dabiri-Erewa

The federal government has begun moves to bring back Nigerians who are stranded abroad amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Abike Dabiri-Erewa, chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), asked those willing to return to notify the Nigerian missions in their respective countries.

She added via a statement on Friday that the missions will subsequently forward their names to the ministry of foreign affairs for action.

Dabiri-Erewa, however, said the financial implications of such evacuation will be borne by the respective individuals “who will be compulsorily quarantined when they return.”

“The interested Nigerians are advised to inform the missions in the various countries they are in, who will then collate and coordinate with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,” the statement signed by Abdur-Rahman Balogun, NIDCOM spokesman, read.

“To this end, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa urged Nigerians stranded abroad willing to return home to key into this Federal Government gesture by providing their information to the mission in their respective host countries.”

She said while embassies in several countries are also on lockdown, Nigerians willing to return should fill a form here.

Some countries have been evacuating their citizens from Nigeria amid the pandemic.

TheCable

Continue Reading

Inside Nigeria

BREAKING: Nigeria Records 20 New Coronavirus Cases, Two Deaths

Published

on

Nigeria has recorded 20 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of confirmed infections in the country to 210.

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control made this known via its Twitter handle on Friday.

NCDC also announced that the country recorded two deaths in Lagos and Edo States.

The NCDC tweeted, “Twenty new cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Nigeria; 11 in Lagos, three in the FCT, three in Edo, 2 in Osun and one in Ondo.

“Two new deaths have been recorded in Lagos and Edo States.

“As of 10:30 pm on 3rd of April, there are 210 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria.”

Details later…

Continue Reading

Inside Nigeria

Falana To Buhari: Withdraw Soldiers From Enforcing Lockdown

Published

on

Femi Falana

A Human Rights Activist, Femi Falana (SAN) has asked the Federal Government to withdraw armed troops from enforcing the lockdown order placed on the Federal Capital Territory; Lagos and Ogun States.

He said deploying armed troops is illegal and unconstitutional based on precedent judgements of the courts of the land.

He said, “In the March 29, 2020, national broadcast of President Muhammadu Buhari and the COVID-19 Quarantine Regulations issued thereafter to curtail the spread of coronavirus pandemic the members of the armed forces were not authorised to enforce the Regulations.

“But out of sheer impunity, the Defence Headquarters announced the plans of the armed forces to implement the presidential order on the restriction of the movement of the Nigerian people.

“In my reaction to the illegal plan of the Defence Headquarters to involve armed troops in the enforcement of the Regulations, I issued a public statement wherein I said that while the nation’s armed forces should be commended for making their medical facilities available to members of the public in the fight against the highly dangerous virus, the plan to dispatch armed soldiers to the streets to enforce the COVID-19 guidelines should be shelved because it is illegal.

“For the umpteenth time, I am compelled to draw the attention of the military authorities to the case of Yussuf v Obasanjo (2005) 18 NWLR (Pt ) where Salami JCA (as he then was) held that ‘It is up to the police to protect our nascent democracy and not the military, otherwise the democracy might be wittingly or unwittingly militarized.’ This is not what the citizenry bargained for in wrestling power from the military in 1999.

“Conscious steps should be taken to civilianise the polity and thereby ensure the survival of and sustenance of democracy.”

Falana said his position was also backed by the judgement in the case of All Progressive Congress v Peoples Democratic Party (2015) LPELR 24349 where Aboki JCA held that the President lacked the power to call on the Armed Forces to restore law and order in any part of the federation without the approval of the National Assembly as provided in sections 217(2) and 218(4) of the Constitution as amended.

He reminded the Federal Government of its legal obligation “to confine the Military to their demanding assignments especially in these trying times of insurgencies and encroachment into the country’s territories…

“However, in utter violation of the aforesaid injunctions of the Court of Appeal, the platoons of armed troops deployed by the military authorities have unleashed mayhem on innocent members of the public for allegedly breaching the COVID-19 Regulations.”

Falana regretted that the involvement of the armed troops in the enforcement had led to torture and brutalisation of innocent citizens as revealed in several video clips trending online.

He accused the military authorities of not conducting a thorough investigation but rather dismissing the video clip.

“Whereas based on a similar video clip which recently exposed a group of policemen who had engaged in the brutalisation of some traders in Lagos under the pretext of enforcing the COVID-19 Regulations the Inspector General of Police, Mr Mohammed Adamu ensured that the culprits were promptly identified and arrested for the purpose of prosecuting them.

“The civilised conduct of the Police Chief has demonstrated the readiness of the current police leadership to put a stop to the involvement of police personnel in the crude infringement of the fundamental right of the Nigerian people to dignity.

“In the light of the foregoing, we respectfully call on President Buhari and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces to restrain members of the armed forces from further enforcing the COVID 19 Regulations.

“Furthermore, we urge the President to order an investigation into the video clips of the brutalisation of members of the public by some overzealous soldiers and direct the appropriate authorities to bring them to justice for contravening the provisions of the Anti Torture Act, 2017,” he said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

HOTTEST TOPICS