Luka Modric’s journey from Croatian war child to the world’s best footballer was celebrated Monday when the Real Madrid midfielder hoisted the Ballon d’Or.
A national hero in his home country and crowned the best player on the planet, Modric was rewarded for his key role in Croatia’s historic run to the World Cup final and his club Real Madrid’s third straight Champions League trophy.
“It’s a unique feeling. I’m happy, proud and honoured,” said Modric, who also won the FIFA Player of the Year award in September.
The star-studded Paris ceremony could hardly be further removed from Modric’s early years as a child refugee, fleeing the burned-out shell of a remote Croatian cottage where he spent part of his childhood.
Hidden in the folds of Velebit mountain, with the nearest neighbours several kilometres away, trees now grow inside the roofless ruin and a sign warns of “Mines – Keep out!”
The player’s grandfather, also named Luka, lived in the house, lying on a mountain road winding through the Modrici hamlet.
His grandfather was killed by Serb forces, the house was burned and the family fled to the coastal town of Zadar, some 40 kilometres (19 miles) away.
It was there that Modric, born in 1985, began his footballing odyssey, drawing attention for the first time to his budding abilities.
“I heard about a little hyperactive boy constantly playing with a football in the corridor of a refugee hotel, even going to sleep with it,” said Josip Bajlo, who was then coach at the First Division club NK Zadar.
– Training under fire –
As soon as Bajlo saw Modric play he signed him up for the club’s football school, where he immediately stood out.
“He was an idol to his generation, a leader, a favourite,” Bajlo told AFP earlier this year.
The 1991-1995 war with Serb rebels, during which Zadar and the surrounding region were heavily shelled, toughened Modric, according to those close to him.
“It happened a million times that we were going to training as the shells were falling, and we were running to shelters,” said childhood friend Marijan Buljat, who trained and played with Modric while growing up.
Modric left Zadar, where he remains a legend, for Dinamo Zagreb in 2000 and then joined English Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur in 2008. After a bidding war he was snapped up by Real Madrid in 2012.
But his popularity in Croatia and his image as a modest family man was tarnished by his testimony last year during the multi-million-euro corruption trial of former Dinamo Zagreb chief Zdravko Mamic.
Modric’s testimony supported Mamic’s case against allegations of corruption, angering many fans who saw the trial as a chance to clean up the corruption-ridden sport.
Prosecutors eventually charged Modric in March for giving false evidence, but dropped the case on Monday due to a lack evidence.
Any lingering anger against Modric had evaporated long ago, however, after he brilliantly inspired Croatia to their first World Cup final last summer.
Despite the 4-2 defeat by France, more than 500,000 people gave captain Modric and his team a heroic welcome on their return to Zagreb.
Cristiano Ronaldo Emerges First Billionaire Footballer
Portuguese professional footballer, Cristiano Ronaldo, has emerged as the first soccer billionaire.
The 35-year-old Juventus star is the third athlete after Tiger Woods and Floyd Mayweather to hit the $1 billion earnings mark while still actively competing, according to Forbes.
Forbes via its Twitter handle said Ronaldo earned $105 million in the past year (2019), making him number 4 on the 2020 Forbes list.
Ronaldo raked in £85million last year from his wages and endorsement deals, pushing him into becoming a billionaire.
His capital for the past year was second only to tennis superstar, Roger Federer, in the athletic world and it made him the number one in the game of football.
Cristiano Ronaldo earned $105 million in the past year, landing him at No. 4 on the 2020 Forbes #Celeb100 list, one spot above Lionel Messi—and making him the first soccer player in history to earn $1 billion https://t.co/QVNG43uqFw pic.twitter.com/YnuvRHxDOX
— Forbes (@Forbes) June 4, 2020
BREAKING: Manchester United Agree To Extend Ighalo’s Loan Deal From Chinese Club
Manchester United have agreed on a deal to extend Odion Ighalo’s loan until the end of January 2021, pending formal approval.
Ighalo initially joined Manchester United in a Deadline Day move from Shanghai Shenhua in January and scored four times in eight appearances in all competitions prior to the suspension of the Premier League.
According to Skysports, his current deal at Shenhua runs out in December 2022 and he will be expected to sign a contract offer until the end of 2024 worth £400,000 a week.
Similarly, Ighalo’s agent has confirmed the forward is set to extend his stay at Manchester United for another seven months.
He will now miss the majority of the 2020 Chinese Super League season, which is scheduled to begin in June.
Shanghai’s original stance was that they would only agree to extend his loan if an obligation to buy was incorporated into the deal, with Ighalo likely to cost upwards of £20m.
However, with border restrictions potentially preventing Ighalo from returning to China in time for the new season, Ighalo’s parent club have softened their stance and have allowed him to extend his stay at Old Trafford.
Additionally, Ighalo made a personal request to his parent club to extend his time at United, with the boyhood fan keen to finish what he started after netting four goals in eight appearances since joining on deadline day.
Chelsea Reportedly In Talks With Leicester Over Nigeria’s Wilfred Ndidi
Highly rated Nigerian international, Winifred Ndidi, is said to be a possible replacement for Jorginho, who is believed to be linked with a move to Juventus.
Ndidi who joined Leicester from Belgian side, Genk, in 2017, has been in superb form for the foxes attracting interest from the likes of Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain.
Mundodeportivo.com reports that Chelsea could need a defensive midfielder as Jorginho could be heading to Juventus to reunite with former boss Maurizio Sari, although Frank Lampard insists that the Italian is not for sale.
The 23-year old is valued at 40 million Euros by Leicester city and has a contract til 2024
- Metro6 days ago
Wife Of Ex-Minneapolis Cop Derek Chauvin Files For Divorce After Her Husband Was Charged With George Floyd’s Murder
- Biafra News6 days ago
Ohanaeze Tells Buhari What To Do With Nnamdi Kanu, Asari Dokubo, Uwazuruike
- Metro6 days ago
Prophet Odumeje Finally Apologizes To Pericoma’s Family, Arondizuogu And Awka Communities
- Metro6 days ago
REVEALED: George Floyd And Ex-Cop Derek Chauvin Worked Together As Bouncers At Club For 17 Years
- Inside Nigeria6 days ago
President Buhari ‘Embarrassed’ At UN Event [PHOTOS]
- Politics5 days ago
Tinubu Is NOT My Man — El-Rufai Declares
- Inside Nigeria6 days ago
Nigerians Will Enjoy 11,000MW Of Electricity By 2023 — Lai Mohammed
- Entertainment5 days ago
It’s 2020 And We Still Don’t Have Constant Electricity In Nigeria — Tiwa Savage Laments