The leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) Nnamdi Kanu, has wondered if the people of South-West would still clamour for ‘one Nigeria’ if Apapa and Tin Can Island wharfs located in the region were closed.
Kanu who is presently in the United Kingdom has continued his call for boycott of the presidential elections.
In his latest tweet, the IPOB leader asked if the Yorubas will still be shouting “One Nigeria” if these ports were closed and every Nigerian forced to use Calabar and Port Harcourt seaports.
“If Apapa Wharf & Tin Can Island were closed indefinitely and every Nigerian forced to use Calabar & Igweocha seaports, will some Yorubas still shout One Nigeria?”
“#SitAtHome on February 16, 2019, and be counted”, he tweeted.
Purported US Travel Ban On Nigeria, Ill-Conceived — Lai Mohammed
The Federal Government has said the speculated plan by the US to add Nigeria to its existing list of visa travel ban countries is ill-conceived.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, stated this on Monday in London during an interview session with Reuters News Agency.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the minister is in London to officially engage with international media and other think tanks.
According to Mohammed although the report is speculative, if it turns out to be true the government will respond comprehensively.
“On the issue of the travel ban, our position is that it is still speculative because we are yet to be communicated. When we are communicated we will respond comprehensively.
“However, in our view, it was not well thought out but based largely on negative narratives spread by naysayers.
“I know that we are working very well with our neighbours to ensure that terrorism is addressed. We are working with the international community including the EU and the US.
“Our advice to the US is that it should have a rethink on the issue because any travel ban is bound to affect investment and growth in the country and those who will be affected are the most vulnerable people in Nigeria,” he said.
It was recently reported that the Donald Trump administration planned to add Belarus, Eritrea, Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar, Nigeria, Sudan and Tanzania to the existing list of US visa travel banned countries.
Speaking on the border closure, the minister told Reuters that Nigeria took the hard decision because the neighbours, notably Benin Republic and the Niger Republic, failed to respect the ECOWAS Treaty on Transit of Goods.
“Not only that they are sabotaging the economy of the country but also the security of the nation was being threatened.
“Under the guise of smuggling rice, a lot of small arms and light weapons are being smuggled into the country,” he said.
Mohammed said the border drill had been positive and successful in terms of revenue, securing the nation and boosting the capacity of the farmers.
On the date to end the closure, he said the government was awaiting the outcome and recommendations of the committee that was set up to look into the issue.
The minister also said that measuring the successes recorded in the fight against terrorism in the North-East region must go beyond the military.
He said that the fight against insurgency in the region had been largely successful in the area of economy and social activities.
Specifically, he said that the Monday markets in Maiduguri and the popular Baga fish market which respectively contributed a lot to the economy of the state had remained open.
He added that schools had remained open in the state since the Administration came into power while social activities had come back to life.
IPPIS: ASUU Threatens Nationwide Strike Over Withheld January Salaries
The leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has threatened the association will embark on a Nationwide strike if the Federal government does not rescind its decision to withhold the January salaries of lecturers yet to enroll in the Integrated Payroll Personnel Information System (IPPIS).
The Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation, in a letter dated Tuesday, January 21st and signed by the Director of IPPIS, Olufehinti Olusegun, directed the Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning not to release funds for the payment of January salaries of academic staff of universities, polytechnics and colleges of education yet to enroll on the IPPIS platform.
ASUU President, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, who faulted the government for taking such decision while still in talks with the union, said if such decision is not reviewed, lecturers in the university system would be left with no other choice than to down tools. According to him, the union and the Federal government are still in talks over the IPPIS policy and withholding salaries when dialogue is still being held is inappropriate.
“We didn’t take part in that decision. What we were expecting them to do was to allow the ongoing discussion to run its full course. Now that we are reading about this in the media, it’s as if some elements in government are trying to sabotage the process. We came out of the meeting with Mr. President believing that they will give us room to explain how the UTAS will better address our peculiarities and autonomy than IPPIS. However, they have not allowed that to happen. We suspect it’s due to the activities of some individuals or groups that are trying to sabotage the process.
“If they push us to the point of taking our final decision about it, we too will tell them ‘no pay, no work’ because we have a resolution that is on ground already. The resolution we took long time ago, which we reactivated at our meeting in Minna last month. So, whichever way they want to go, ASUU will rise to the challenge.” he said in a chat with The New Telegraph
On whether the union would issue an ultimatum to government to reverse its decision, Ogunyemi said: “I have worked for one month somebody is saying you are not paying me for that month, do I need to give you ultimatum to tell you that I can no longer work until you pay me?”
BREAKING: EFCC Arraigns Shehu Sani
A former senator representing Kaduna Central Senatorial District, Shehu Sani was on Monday arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Sani was arraigned by the EFCC on Monday at the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja.
The former lawmaker was arraigned on two counts of bribery and advance fee fraud.
More to follow…