Brig.-Gen. Shuaibu Ibrahim, the new Director General of the National Youth Service Corps, says he is ready to sacrifice his life to ensure that no corps member dies during the service year.
Ibrahim said this on Wednesday during a visit to the staff and corps members at the NYSC Zonal Office in Akure.
The DG, who said he was happy to be in the state, told corps members to keep themselves abreast of what was happening in their environment and be security conscious.
Ibrahim urged the corps members to take the opportunity of the entrepreneurial programmes put in place by the scheme rather than embarking on frivolous travels.
“I will prefer to die than losing a corps member. Keep yourself abreast of what is happening in your country, and make a difference as a corps member.
“I want to rejig our skills acquisition programme. If you take it seriously, we have partners that are ready to lend you money. I am very passionate about the scheme and my corps members.
“I came for a youth programme, so I decided to visit you my ‘children’. What will you be remembered for when you leave this place? Try as much as possible to keep your records clean,” he said.
Ibrahim, on the sidelines of the event, described his visit as unofficial, saying, he would look for a way by which the scheme would not depend solely on government funds.
Earlier, Mrs Grace Akpabio, the state Coordinator of NYSC, described the visit of the DG as homecoming.
Akpabio also said the Ondo State Government had been helping to improve the scheme in the state, “especially with the building of perimeter fence at the Ikare Akoko Permanent Orientation Camp.”
She used the visit to reel out some of the achievements to the DG, especially the reactivation of farm in Ita Ogbolu to teach interested corps members how to farm.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the 18th DG of the scheme assumed duty on May 17.
356 Soldiers Apply For Voluntary Disengagement, Over “Loss Of Interest” In The Nigerian Army
Atleast 356 soldiers have reportedly applied for voluntary retirement citing loss of interest in the Nigerian Army.
Many of the soldiers are among the troops engaged in the decade-long war against Boko Haram in the Northeast, while others are from various other formations across the country.
But apart from the 356 who are leaving for losing interest in the army, 24 others are exiting because they want “to take traditional title,” making a total of 380 soldiers, including two Master Warrant Officers and 28 Warrant Officers, voluntarily discharging from the army, according to sources with direct knowledge of the development.
A document written by Gagariga on behalf of Buratai state’s that the soldiers’ disengagement date will take effect from January 3, 2021.
The document reads;
“In compliance with the provisions of Reference A, the COAS vide Reference B has approved the voluntary and medical discharge of the above named MWO, and 385 others listed as Annexes A and B.
“The soldiers are to proceed on terminal leave December 3, 2020, while their disengagement date takes effect from January 3, 2021, in accordance with the Nigerian Army Administrative Policy and Procedures No 27 Paragraphs 3 and 4. Accordingly, I am directed to request formations and units to release all affected soldiers to report at the Headquarters, Garrison, with their unit service documents for documentation.
“All forms of military-controlled items, arms, ammunition, and items of combat kits are recovered from the soldiers prior to their disengagement date and certify that they are properly de-kitted. Please acknowledge.”
We Used ₦1.5 Billion To Take Care Of Ourselves As COVID-19 Palliative — NDDC MD
The sum of N1.5bn was used as COVID-19 relief fund for staff of the Niger Delta Development Commission, Kemebradikumo Pondei, Acting Managing Director of the commission, said.
Pondei disclosed this at the investigative hearing on the N40bn corruption allegation against the commission.
The Senate had on May 5 set up a seven-man ad-hoc committee to investigate the financial recklessness of the Interim Management Committee of the NDDC.
The MD and other delegates from the commission appeared before the committee on Thursday for the hearing.
The lawmakers raised concerns over the spending at the NDDC, noting that the commission spent N40bn last three months without due process.
However, Pondei when giving account of how money was spent, said staff of the agency had to be catered for, too.
He said, “We used it (N1.5bn) to take care of ourselves. We are NDDC, we need to take care of ourselves too.”
Part of the audit report read out by the Chairman of the committee, Olubunmi Adetunmbi, said N3.1bn was spent as COVID-19 funds between October 2019 and May 2020.
In the report, the lawmaker said, “N10m was paid to one person, N7m to two people, N5m to three people, 148 people took N3m each, 157 people got N1.5m each, 497 people got N1m each and 464 people were paid N600,000 each.”
Another N475m was given to the police to purchase face masks and hand sanitisers, he added.
Northern States Back FG On Schools’ Closure
Education commissioners in the 19 Northern States have resolved to reopen schools only when it is safe to do so, following the spike in cases of COVID-19.
The commissioners in a communique in Kaduna on Saturday, after a virtual meeting to consider schools reopening and other issues to strengthen the education sector, said keeping schools closed in the face of the spike in COVID-19 cases across the country was a sure step to ensure that children remained safe.
The communique was signed by Dr Shehu Makarfi, Commissioner for Education, Kaduna State, who is also the Chairman of the northern states School Exchange Programme (SEP).
Other participants were his counterparts from Bauchi, Gombe, Niger, Nasarawa, Adamawa, Taraba, Kogi, Kwara, Katsina, Kano, Borno and Jigawa.
The commissioners applauded the Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, for taking a decisive stand against school reopening and pledged their full support.
They resolved that “schools should be reopened only when it is safe to do so and when states have complied with the minimum COVID-19 safety protocols as outlined by the NCDC.”
They also said their states would “participate in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination and other examinations only when it is safe to reopen schools and when coordinated by the Federal Ministry of Education.”
They planned to carry out holistic assessment of schools to determine safety status for reopening and submit reports to their respective governors for consideration.
They also urged their respective states to take steps to provide critical facilities required for reopening of schools as specified by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
“Schools’ infrastructure, such as dilapidated classrooms, students’ hostels, source of safe water, sanitary facilities, including hand washing equipment and security are critical and should be improved.
“We will equally clear schools of bushes and grasses, as well as fumigate school’s surroundings to support learning and ensure safety when schools resume,” they said.
They, however, appealed to the Federal Government to support states in putting safety measures in place for school reopening.
According to them, many states may not have the financial strength to embark on such a huge capital-intensive project.
- Metro6 days ago
VIDEO: “My Wife Believed In Me When I Had Nothing, That’s Why She Owns Part Of Coscharis Group” — Billionaire Businessman, Cosmos Maduka
- News6 days ago
Place Magu On Watch-List So He Won’t Run Away — Fayose Alerts DSS, Army, Others
- Gist7 days ago
Hushpuppi Reportedly Hires Micheal Jackson’s Former Lawyer, Mark Geragos
- News4 days ago
I Never Received ₦4 Billion From Magu — Osinbajo
- News6 days ago
JUST IN: Ibrahim Magu Told To Step Aside As EFCC Chair
- News6 days ago
EFCC Chairman, Magu Reportedly Detained
- Metro7 days ago
Policewoman Shoots Husband With AK-47 Rifle For Not Picking Her Calls
- News6 days ago
BREAKING: Buhari Suspends Ibrahim Magu As EFCC Acting Chairman