Connect with us

Africa

Abike Dabiri Condemns Attacks On Nigerians Living In Ghana

Published

on

Abike Dabiri-Erewa

The Chairman of the Nigerian Diaspora Commission, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa has condemned the attack on Nigerians in Kumasi, Ghana, describing it as a xenophobic attack.

Speaking at a meeting with the Consular-General of the Ghanaian high commissioner in Nigeria, Dabiri-Erewa called for the protection of the rights of Nigerians in the country.

“We need your assurances from Nigerian traders particularly in Ghana of their protection. We are here to appeal to you to protect Nigerians in Ghana, especially the traders, and to ensure that such an incident will not happen anymore,” he said.

The presidential aide, however, commended the Ghanaian government for the prompt response through the intervention of the country’s police chief.

Speaking on investments, Dabiri-Erewa noted that Nigerians have contributed immensely to the growth and development of Ghana’s economy.

“We have a lot of investments in Ghana in education, banking, real estate and all that, that is helping the Ghanaian economy.

“So we are here to complain about what happened yesterday and to ensure that it doesn’t happen again so that Nigerians living legally in Ghana will be protected,” she said.

On his part, the Consular-General, James Nyasembi, said some persons have been arrested and will soon be charged to court.

According to him, the Ghanaian authorities will ensure that the rights of all Nigerians living in their country is protected.

“The President of Ghana has directed the Inspector General of Police, the Minister for National Security and all the security agencies to be on top of the issue.

“As we speak now, the shops have been reopened. The Nigerians who are operating their shops in Kumasi have been assured of their security, they have been asked to go back to their duties without fear of being molested or harassed by any person in the region.

“Some Ghanaians who have been involved in this act have been arrested and they have been placed before the court because it is a matter that the President of Ghana will not allow to happen to dampen the spate of excellent relations that exist between Ghana and Nigeria,” he said.

Africa

COVID-19: Africa Doing Better Than Other Continents — WHO Declares

Published

on

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared that Africa is doing better than other continents in the management of the coronavirus pandemic with lowest number of cases and deaths so far recorded.

Figures it released yesterday showed that Africa has 1.5 per cent of global reported cases of COVID-19 and less than 0.1 per cent of deaths.

Latest COVID-19 Situation Report–127 (Data as received by WHO by 10:00 CEST, May 26, 2020) showed that Africa has 83,044 cases and 2,214 deaths compared to 5,404,512 global cases and 343,514 deaths.

America has highest number of cases with 2,454,452 and 143,739 deaths, followed by Europe with 2,041,705 cases and 173,213 deaths; Eastern Mediterranean with 438,900 cases 11,293 deaths; South-East Asia with 210,273 cases and 6,140 deaths; and Western Pacific with 175,397 cases and 6,902 deaths.

Director-General of WHO, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus at the media briefing on May 25, 2020, said, “So far, although around half of the countries in the region have community transmissions, concentrated mainly in major cities, Africa is the least-affected region globally in terms of the number of cases and deaths reported to WHO.

“Africa has 1.5 per cent of the world’s reported cases of COVID-19 and less than 0.1 per cent of the deaths. Of course, these numbers don’t paint the full picture, because testing capacity in Africa is still being ramped up and there is a likelihood that some cases may be missed.”

However, a professor of pharmacology and pioneer Director General of the Nigerian Institute of Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD), Professor Charles Wambebe and Chairman, Association of Hospital and Administrative Pharmacists of Nigeria (AHAPN), Dr. Kingsley Chiedu Amibor, have explained why chloroquine should be useful in the management of COVID-19.

Wambebe said, “From theoretical considerations, chloroquine should be useful in the management of COVID-19. Firstly, chloroquine has antiviral activity. The Chinese scientists confirmed it before they started using it to treat their patients. Secondly chloroquine has immune-modulatory property.

“There is a current trial involving hydroxychloroquine in Australia which involved about 2000 patients. It is called Ascot Trial, which is still in progress.”

Meanwhile, the WHO and United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF) have explained why women who have contracted COVID-19 could breastfeed their babies.

A new report they released yesterday in conjunction with the International Baby Food Action Network (IBFAN) encouraged women to continue breastfeeding their children even if they have the virus.

“While researchers continue to test breast milk from mothers with confirmed or suspected COVID-19, current evidence indicate that it is unlikely that COVID-19 would be transmitted through breastfeeding or by giving breast milk that has been expressed by a mother who have COVID-19.

“The benefits of breastfeeding substantially outweigh the potential risks of illness associated with the virus. It is not safer to give infant formula milk,” it noted.

Continue Reading

Africa

Rwanda Takes Delivery Of Robots That Can Screen ‘150 People Per Minute’ For COVID-19 [PHOTOS]

Published

on

The Rwandan government has taken delivery of 5 humanoid robots which can screen and deliver foods and drugs to those suffering from Coronavirus.

BBC reported that the country’s health minister, Daniel Ngamije made the announcement on Tuesday May 19.

He also disclosed that the robots were brought in to reduce the exposure of health workers to COVID-19 patients.

Ngamije said: “We need additional robots for other duties like disinfection in public space and we are working to get them.”

The 5 robots which were named Akazuba, Ikizere, Mwiza, Ngabo and Urumuri, are manufactured by a Belgium-based company.

Rwanda’s health ministry says the units have a number of abilities, including:

Screening 50 to 150 people per minute
Recording and storing patient data
Alerting health workers to abnormalities
Warning people who aren’t wearing marks, or are wearing them improperly

There are two Coronavirus treatment facilities in Rwanda, one is on the outskirts of the capital Kigali and the other in the south-eastern town of Nyamata.

The country has so far recorded 308 confirmed cases of Coronavirus, 203 recoveries and no deaths.

Continue Reading

Africa

Namibia Bans New Cars For Government Officials Till 2025

Published

on

The Namibian government has banned government officials from buying new cars till 2025, a decision taken to mitigate the effect of the outbreak of Coronavirus in the country.

President Hage Geingob who made the announcement on Twitter on Thursday May 14, also directed a cap on monthly fuel consumption by public office holders.

He said the decision would save the country 200 million Namibian dollars (US$10.7 million), which will be directed “to urgent priorities, specifically at a time when the country is dealing with the health and economic implications of COVID-19”.

The statement read in parts;

“Government will not order a new vehicle fleet for the Executive and Public Office Bearers for the period 2020-2025.

“Savings of 200 million Namibia dollars (about $10.8 million) will be directed to urgent priority areas.”

The southern African country of 2.5 million people has so far recorded 16 cases of COVID-19, with no deaths.

Namibian ministers and their deputies each qualify for Mercedes-Benz vehicles upon their appointment. In 2002, then-president Sam Nujoma had banned the use of Mercedes-Benz, insisting that ministers should ride in Toyota Camry cars.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

HOTTEST TOPICS