Connect with us

World

FBI Launches Investigations Into Epstein’s Death In Prison

Published

on

Jeffrey Epstein

The FBI has launched two investigations into the death of disgraced financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, who died of an apparent suicide in his jail cell in New York.

Epstein, 66, was found unresponsive in his cell at about 6:30 am (1030 GMT).

Metropolitan Correctional Center said that efforts to save him were initiated by prison staff and emergency medical services but he was pronounced dead at hospital, the prison’s statement said.

According to U.S. media reports, which cited officials familiar with the matter, the multi-millionaire financier hanged himself.

The prison did not confirm the suicide but said the FBI was investigating the incident.

Loading...

U.S. Attorney General William Barr in a statement said he was “appalled” to learn of Epstein’s death while in federal custody and that the incident raises serious questions.

“In addition to the FBI’s investigation, I have consulted with the Inspector General who is opening an investigation into the circumstances of Mr. Epstein’s death,” Barr said.

The U.S. attorney in Manhattan said its investigation would continue, noting that Epstein’s indictment included charges that he conspired with other people in the commission of the alleged crimes.

U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman also encouraged anyone feeling they might have been victim to come forward.

He praised those who already have.

“To those brave young women who have already come forward and to the many others who have yet to do so, let me reiterate that we remain committed to standing for you,” Berman’s statement said.

Epstein, who had ties to numerous wealthy Americans, including U.S. President Donald Trump and former president Bill Clinton, had reportedly been placed on suicide watch after a separate attempt made while in custody toward the end of last month.

It remained unclear whether he was on suicide watch at the time of his death, though some U.S. media including the New York Times reported the watch had been removed a few days ago.

Epstein was indicted last month on charges of sex trafficking of minors and conspiracy.

He had pleaded not guilty and was denied bail three weeks ago.

His death followed the publication on Friday of a cache of documents that provided more extensive details on how the alleged sex trafficking network operated between 2002 and 2005.

The new information included descriptions of how he allegedly ordered an associate to lure girls as young as 14 to his homes in New York and Palm Beach, Florida, coerced them into sex and then used them to draw in other victims.

Epstein had faced sex crime charges in 2008 in Florida related to the alleged network but made a deal with prosecutors that resulted in a relatively light prison sentence.

Critics said the punishment was too lenient and victims’ advocates said it was done without the knowledge of the girls involved.

Alex Acosta, a federal prosecutor in Florida at the time of the earlier plea deal, was forced to resign as Trump’s secretary of labour last month.

The more recent charges were contained in a federal indictment filed in New York.

Epstein was arrested on July 6 and entered a not guilty plea but a judge ordered him detained after prosecutors argued that Epstein was a flight risk due to his vast wealth and resources.

Lisa Bloom, a lawyer representing some of the women, said Epstein’s apparent suicide indicated that he knew he was guilty and that his wealth would not prevent a conviction.

“He knew justice was coming and he could not face it,” Bloom tweeted.

She also said civil cases against his estate would proceed.

“Victims deserve to be made whole for the lifelong damage he caused,” Bloom tweeted.

(NAN)

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Iran Unveils Budget Of ‘Resistance’ Against US Sanctions

Published

on

Trump

Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani on Sunday presented to parliament what he called a “budget of resistance” against crippling sanctions imposed by arch-enemy the United States.

“Next year, similar to the current year, our budget is a budget of resistance and perseverance against sanctions,” Rouhani told parliament in remarks broadcast on state radio.

“This budget announces to the world that despite sanctions we will manage the country, especially in terms of oil,” he added.

The budget for the financial year starting late March 2020 comes after fuel price hikes that were imposed in mid-November triggered deadly demonstrations across the Islamic republic.

In his speech, Rouhani announced a 15 percent increase for public sector wages in a country whose economy has been battered by US sanctions.

Loading...

US President Donald Trump began imposing punitive measures in May 2018, after unilaterally withdrawing from an accord that gave Iran relief from sanctions in return for limits on its nuclear programme.

The International Monetary Fund has forecast that Iran’s economy will contract by 9.5 percent this year.

Continue Reading

Top Story

BREAKING: Popular Evangelist, Reinhard Bonnke Is Dead

Published

on

Popular German evangelist, Reinhard Bonnke, is dead.

His death was announced in a statement signed by his wife, Anni Bonnke.

The statement was shared on Evangelist Bonnke’s verified Facebook page on Saturday.

In the statement, Anni said, “Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ. It is with sorrow that the Bonnke Family would like to announce the passing of our beloved husband, father, and grandfather, Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke.

“He passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family, on December 7, 2019. For the past 60 years, he has preached the glorious Gospel of Jesus throughout the entire world. We want to thank you on behalf of him and our family, for your kind love and unwavering support, which enabled him to preach the matchless message of salvation to countless people. He preached Jesus.”

Loading...

Continue Reading

World

Trump Reacts To Viral Video Of NATO Leaders ‘Mocking’ Him, Calls Trudeau ‘Two-Faced’

Published

on

Donald Trump

President Donald Trump has reacted to the viral video that showed Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and French President Emmanuel Macron mocking him at a reception in Buckingham Palace for NATO leaders.

Trump called Justin Trudeau “two-faced” after a video seemed to show him venting to other world leaders about Mr. Trump’s behavior at a NATO anniversary celebration designed specifically to avoid unwanted disruptions.

While taking questions from reporters ahead of a meeting with Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany, Trump was asked to comment on the viral video.

“Well, he’s two-faced,” the president said. After a long pause, he added, “He’s a nice guy. I find him to be a very nice guy.”

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement