Five attorneys general of U.S. states and city have filed a lawsuit against a new immigration policy by President Donald Trump administration to deny possible permanent residency to immigrants who receive some federal benefits.
California is leading the coalition, and its Attorney General (AG) Xavier Becerra was joined by his counterparts from the states of Maine, Oregon and Pennsylvania, as well as the District of Columbia, to challenge Trump’s policy to restrict immigrants’ access to legal status if they use food or medical benefits offered by the federal government.
The new policy, also known as the “Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Public Charge Rule,” is targeting working immigrants and their families by creating unnecessary new barriers to lawful admission to the U.S., Becerra said in the lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
“The Rule discourages hardworking eligible immigrants and their families from accessing critical health, nutrition, and housing programs that supplement their modest wages and help them make ends meet,” he said.
He asserted the “cruel policy” would force working parents and families across the nation to forgo those basic necessities out of fear, which is “simply unacceptable”.
“The Rule will disproportionately block admission of non-white, non-European immigrants from Asia, Latin America, and Africa,” and create more obstacles for them in the path to U.S. citizenship, Becerra added.
California Governor Gavin Newsom also slammed the move by the Trump administration as demonizing immigrants and creating fear in immigrant families, “which is cruel and threatens our public health”.
“We’re standing up to the Trump administration in court to protect our economy, our families, and our most sacred values,” he said.
According to Becerra’s office, California is home to more than 10 million immigrants and half of all children in the state have at least one immigrant parent.
Two California counties joined an earlier lawsuit filed this week by 13 states, including the Washington state, to challenge Trump’s public charge rule set to take effect in October.
JUST IN: Amaechi’s Chief Security Officer Dies Of Electric Shock In Kaduna
Mr. Tony Iwelu, the CSO to the Minister for Transportation, Mr. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, died of electric shock from a shower hose in his hotel room in Kaduna on Monday February 17, 2020, at about 10:30 AM.
Iwelu had travelled with the Minister to Kaduna to felicitate with Governor Nasiru Elrufai on his birthday when the fatal shock happened.
An aide to the Minister confirmed the death under condition of anonymity as no official statement has been issued, Daily Trust reports.
BREAKING: Supreme Court Adjourns Review Of Imo Judgement
The Supreme Court has adjourned hearing till March 2, in the application by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and sacked Imo Governor, Emeka Ihedioha
The PDP and Ihedioha are, by the application, praying the court to, among others, reverse its judgment on January 14 this, which sacked Ihedioha and replaced him with Hope Uzodinma of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
At the mention of the case on Tuesday, Ihedioha’s lead lawyer, Kanu Agabi sought for time to enable parties file the necessary papers, a request other lawyers in the case did not object to.
A seven-man panel of the Supreme Court, led by the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Ibrahim Muhammad, in a brief ruling, granted the request for adjournment and adjourned till March 2, 2020.
Military Personnel Accompanied Herdsmen Who Killed 8 Persons In Delta — Gov Okowa
Delta State governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, says military personnel accompanied suspected herdsmen who wreaked havoc on some communities in the state last week.
Gunmen had attacked Avwon, Agadama, Ohoror and other communities in Uwheru Kingdom, Ughelli North local government areas of the state on Thursday.
The attacks led to the deaths of at least eight persons while several others sustained injuries.
Okowa, who described the attacks as mindless, called on security agencies to bring the perpetrators to book.
“The unwarranted attacks and killing of innocent locals in Avwon, Agadama and Ohoror communities of Uwheru Kingdom in Ughelli North Local Government Area and the wickedness of suspected herdsmen alleged to be aided and abetted by unidentified military personnel are mindless,” Okowa said.
“I, however, appeal to the affected communities to remain calm and peaceful. I commiserate with the communities and families on the unfortunate loss of their loved ones.
“I have directed the Commissioner of Police and the Brigade Commander, 63 Brigade, Nigerian Army, to rise to the occasion and bring the culprits to justice.
“As a state, our people have been very receptive to herdsmen and other visitors, but our hospitality and welcoming disposition should not be taken as an act of cowardice.
“The state government will continue to encourage peaceful and harmonious relations between Deltans and their visitors but will not watch outsiders attack and kill our people any longer.”