Minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, Wednesday gave reason while he was brought back to his former ministry.
He said that he was brought back as minister of information and culture, because President Muhammadu Buhari trusted him.
His words, “We give thanks to Almighty Allah who made it possible for me to be reappointed and also to be posted back to this Ministry.
“I also thank Almighty Allah that has spared all our lives to be here again. The same time, I want to welcome the new Directors who I have not worked with before and also express my joy with the Directors that I worked with.
“Whatever success that we have achieved was because of the cooperation we got from the Directors who worked with us. I know that I did drive people very hard, but at the end of the day, the result is clear. The evidence that I drove people very hard is clear. Less than three months, I can see that the Directors are now fatter than when I left them.
“My charge to all of us is to please redouble our efforts so that we can justify the confidence Mr. President has reposed in us. That Mr. President has reappointed me is a measure of the confidence he has and posting me back in this Ministry is also a measure of that confidence.
“We all need to work hard. I remember that in 2015 when I came in, my charge to all my Directors and Permanent Secretary was that we should not be despondent and say that this is a Grade A, B or C Ministry. But we can all work hard to bring our Ministry to be the Number one Ministry in the nation and I think this should be our goal: to leave a lasting legacy for the administration.”
Brazilian Court Orders Netflix To Take Down Film Describing Jesus As Gay
A Brazilian court has ordered an American media-services provider and production company, Netflix, to stop showing a Christmas movie that portray Jesus Christ as a gay man, which has provoked widespread condemnation.
The film was created by the Brazilian YouTube comedy group Porta dos Fundos. Since its release, it has sparked a lot of conversation globally with a lot of people shocked at the storyline which depicts Jesus as gay.
A Brazilian judge on Wednesday ordered Netflix to stop showing the Christmas special which some have called blasphemous for depicting Jesus as a gay man.
A petition was filed by a Brazilian Catholic organization that argued the “honour of millions of Catholics” was hurt by the airing of “The First Temptation of Christ.”
The special was produced by the Rio-based film company Porta dos Fundos, whose headquarters was targeted in the Christmas Eve attack.
However, Netflix has decided to not comment on the ruling by the judge.
The Judge said: The right to freedom of expression… is not absolute. Exhibiting the ‘artistic production’… may cause graver and more irreparable damage than its suspension.”
Although, the ban is only temporary as the final decision is yet to be made.
Sowore: SERAP Condemns Re-arrest, Invasion Of Justice Ojukwu’s Court
Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has strongly condemned the violent re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore and his co-defendant, Olawale Bakare by officials of the State Security Service (SSS), and the apparent harassment and intimidation of Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu on Friday.
Armed SSS officials reportedly stormed the courtroom, causing pandemonium at the court and physically assaulting Mr Sowore. The judge reportedly had to take cover. She had earlier ordered the SSS to release Sowore within 24 hours and also pay him N100,000 for improper legal conduct. The SSS then released Mr Sowore only for him and his co-defendant to be violently re-arrested.
Reacting, SERAP’s Deputy Director, Kolawole Oluwadare said: “The appalling invasion of the courtroom and the ill-treatment of Sowore and Bakare is a blatant attack on the rule of law and the sanctity and integrity of our justice system. An independent judiciary, free from intimidation and harassment is a basic precondition to a functioning democracy under the rule of law.”
SERAP’s statement read in part: “The violent re-arrest of Sowore and Bakare right inside the courtroom is a textbook case of a mockery of justice and abuse of the judicial process. It drives home the failure of the Nigerian government to fulfill its constitutional and international human rights obligations to respect citizens’ human rights and observe the rule of law.
“What happened in the courtroom is a fatal blow to human rights and the independence and integrity of the judiciary. SERAP is seriously concerned that the Government of President Muhammadu Buhari is not observing fundamental international human rights and due process standards.
“We urge the Nigerian authorities to immediately and unconditionally release Sowore and Bakare and end the fragrant attack on the rule of law. “If Nigerian authorities are serious about human rights and the rule of law, they should hold those responsible to account. Only then will Nigerians have full confidence in this government’s ability to protect their human rights, obey the rule of law and the independence of the judiciary.
“The United Nations Human Rights Council, African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights and members of the international community should urgently put pressure on the Nigerian authorities to end serious violations and abuses of human rights and threats to the rule of law in Nigeria.”
Biafra: Nigerian Govt Told To Immediately Withdraw Operation Atilogwu Dance From South-East
Biafra Nations Youth League (BNYL) has demanded the immediate withdrawal of troops of the ‘Operation Atilogwu Udo’ from the Southeast region.
The Nigerian Army had on November 1 launched another army operation code named ‘Operation Atilogwu Udo’, which is in continuation of the ‘Operation Python Dance.’
Reacting, BNYL warned the federal government that should the ‘Operation Atilogwu Udo’ carry on with the activities of the Python Dance 1 & 2, there would be crisis in the region.
National Leader of BNYL, Princewill Chimex Richard, in a statement on Saturday, wondered why the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration would militarize the east every year “whereas other regions, especially in the North where bandits and terrorists are killing people on a daily basis are being ignored.”
He said: “This government does not want peace. It is wrong to militarize a region that is violence free.
“If the purpose of doing this is to put fear in us, then they have failed, because before we embarked on this struggle, we have signed our death warrant with the creator.
“Nothing can frighten us again, but I assure them that they will fail in their bid to stop us.
“We are only considering the advice of our advisors. Not that we cannot adopt the Southern Cameroon style of agitation since we may not want another war.”