Connect with us

Inside Nigeria

Xenophobia: Fani-Kayode Calls For Expulsion Of S’African Citizens From Nigeria

Published

on

femi fani-kayode

Former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode has called for the expulsion of all South African citizens from Nigeria following renewed protest against Nigerians.

It was reported that Nigerians and other nationals in South Africa were on Sunday asked to leave immediately.

Residents of hostels in eastern Johannesburg marched along Jules Street in the area, demanding that “foreigners must go back to where they came from”.

Reacting, Fani-Kayode called on Nigerian government to expel South Africans from the country and nationalise all South African companies that are operating in Nigeria.

He also called on President Muhammadu Buhari’s government to retaliate the attacks and break up diplomatic ties with South Africa.

In a series of post on his Twitter page, Fani-Kayode wrote: “In Johannesberg, the xenophobic madness has started again. Well organised and well armed South African mobs and killer squads are marching in the streets calling for all foreigners to leave and looking for Nigerians to kill.

“How long do we have to put up with this state-sponsored violence and extreme provocation? Will we turn the other cheek forever? Who will defend mother Nigeria and who will fight for us? Is our blood so easy to spill and are our lives so cheap? What is our government doing?

“What are our Armed Forces there for if not to protect our lives and defend our honor and people? The South African Government has openly ENCOURAGED and openly SUPPORTED this great evil and the mass murder of our compatriots! Enough is enough.

“We cannot be expected not to retaliate in the streets of Nigeria! You cannot kill our people and expect yours to go free in our shores or for your companies to have peace and security in our nation. For every action there is a reaction that is the law of nature and the world.

“If you shed innocent blood it will come back to you! I call for the expulsion of all South African citizens from Nigeria, the nationalisation of all South African companies that are operating in Nigeria, the breaking up of diplomatic ties with South Africa.

“A recall and relocation of all our citizens that live in South Africa back home to Nigeria and, if the targetting and killing of our citizens does not stop, an apology offered and compensation paid by the South African Government, a declaration of total war with South Africa.”

Inside Nigeria

Bill To Strip The President Of Powers To Order For Forfeiture Of Assets Of Accused Persons, Scales Second Reading

Published

on

A bill seeking to strip the president of the powers to order for forfeiture of assets of accused persons has scaled second reading in the House of Representatives.

The discretionary power previously granted to the president to order for forfeiture of assets was on Thursday, July 2, transferred to the judges of a High Court.

The bill, which was passed in plenary, yesterday, July 2, is sponsored by the Deputy Speaker, Mr Ahmed Wase and is entitled “a bill for an act to amend the currency conversion (freezing orders) act cap. C.43, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 to give discretionary powers to the judge of a High Court, to order forfeiture of assets of affected persons and for related matters.”

Presenting the bill, the deputy speaker said, “It is noteworthy that the provision for forfeiture in our laws is geared towards ensuring that persons found guilty of offenses do not benefit from the proceeds of those offences.”

He said the discretionary power previously granted to the president by the Principal Act is hereby being replaced by that of a High Court Judge to bring it in line with the spirit of the constitution.

Wase argued that the provision, which vest in the president the power to order forfeiture of property (both movable or immovable) “is not in spirit with the provisions of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) and hence the need for its amendment.

“Section 44 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) guarantees the fundamental right of individuals to movable and immovable properties, which shall not be deprived except in specified circumstances which include the ‘imposition of penalties or forfeiture for the breach of any law whether under any civil process or after conviction for an offence’. (S. 44 (2) (c).

“Mr Speaker, colleagues, it is our submission that such breach, can only be determined by the judge of a court and should never be at the discretion of the president.

“It is further noted that the discretion of the president to order the forfeiture of property of an accused person can be subjected to executive abuses and recklessness. Section 9 in the Principal Act does not provide any mechanism (whether legal or administrative) through which the President may exercise this power. Instead the power is left solely at the discretion of the President.

“In a country that has witnessed reckless abuse of political and administrative powers, it will be dangerous to allow such unchecked arrogation of powers to determine the forfeiture of a person’s properties.”

“Such discretion to be exercised by the president can be contrary to the natural doctrine of fair trial as it amounts to the executive being a prosecutor and a ‘Judge’ in its own case.

“This negates the spirit of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) specifies the conditions under which a person can be deprived of movable or immovable properties and that is: ‘under any civil or after conviction for an offence’ after a fair trial.

“The president cannot therefore, usurp the powers of the courts for such will run foul of the doctrine of Separation of Powers.

“Vesting in the president the power to make forfeiture order smack of the era of military dictatorship where the Head of State and Head of the Supreme Military Council and unilaterally order the forfeiture of properties of persons without recourse to any judicial mechanism. This cannot be allowed to exit in a democracy. I therefore urge you all to support this amendment bill.”

Continue Reading

Inside Nigeria

NCDC Blames Youths For Rapid COVID-19 Spread In The Country

Published

on

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control has blamed youths for the rapid COVID-19 spread in the country.

Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu, the NCDC Director-General stated this during the briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 on Thursday, July 2, in Abuja.

He said youths between the ages of 20 and 40 were responsible for the spread of COVID-19, while the majority of those who succumb to the killer disease are older people from 50 years and above.

He said, “As more people are infected across the world, you would have seen the numbers; it is increasingly obvious that transmission among younger people really, not children, but people aged between 20 and 40 as far as we know, are really driving the spread of this virus, but those that are bearing the brunt of it are people age 50 and above.

“Three out of five people who died from COVID-19 are 50 years and above; so we have to work harder, all of us collectively, to protect our elderly. We are on the verge of opening our airports, we have relaxed intercity travel.”

As of July 2, there are 27,110 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in the country. 10,801 patients have been discharged and 616 deaths have been recorded.

Continue Reading

Inside Nigeria

US COVID-19 Assistance To Nigeria Hits N15.5 Billion

Published

on

The United States’ COVID-19 emergency aid to Nigeria rose to 41.3 million dollars (N15.5 billion) as of Thursday, according to the Department of State.

This represents an additional 11.3 million dollars (N4.2 billion) compared with the 30 million dollars (N11.2 billion) assistance to Nigeria announced by the U.S. in May.

In a statement on Thursday, the department said the amount was part of a 1.3 billion dollar (N488.8 billion) COVID-19 aid so far announced by the government for 120 countries.

It gave a breakdown of Nigeria’s share to include 3.3 million dollars (N1.2 billion) for health assistance.

According to the statement, 34 million dollars (N12.7 billion) is meant for “humanitarian funding for risk-communications, water and sanitation, infection-prevention, coordination and emergency food assistance”.

It added that 4.1 million dollars or N1.5 billion is reserved for humanitarian assistance for vulnerable people, including internally displaced persons.

“This assistance joins more than 8.1 billion dollars (N3 trillion) in total assistance for Nigeria over the past 20 years, including more than 5.2 billion dollars (N1.9 trillion) for health”, it said.

The department said the total 1.3 billion dollar package was in addition to not less than 100 billion dollars (N37.6 trillion) in global health funding by the U.S. in the last 10 years.

It added that the country had also dished out nearly 70 billion dollars (N26.3 trillion) in “overseas humanitarian assistance” within the period.

As of Tuesday, Nigeria had 26,484 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 603 deaths and 10,152 recoveries, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

Continue Reading
Advertisement

HOTTEST TOPICS