Pro-abortion politicians celebrated last week Thursday, September 26, after the Australian state of New South Wales decriminalized the killing of unborn babies up to birth.
The controversial law allows abortions for any reason up to 22 weeks and up to birth with the permission of two doctors and a hospital committee, The Independent reports.
Ignoring strong opposition from New South Wales citizens, lawmakers in the upper and lower house quickly passed the bill with very few amendments.
According to The Sydney Morning Herald, MP Alex Greenwich, the lead sponsor of the bill, and other pro-abortion politicians cheered and hugged each other in celebration Thursday after they voted to strip away basically all protections for babies in the womb.
“Abortion has been decriminalised in NSW. I am sorry this has taken so long,” Greenwich said after the vote.
But Margaret Tighe, president of Right to Life Australia, mourned the news.
“There should be no cause for jubilation in New South Wales today when the death knell has been sounded in the New South Wales Parliament for unborn children in the womb – abortion now being allowed up till birth,” she said.
Tighe said the law does not even give babies who are born alive after botched abortions full protections. She expressed concerns about inadequate conscience rights protections for pro-life medical professionals as well.
“We are proud of the many members of the Parliament of New South Wales who were unwavering in their stand for life and posed amendment after amendment to contain this horrendous bill,” she said.
Pro-abortion lawmakers rejected a long list of amendments, including measures to ban the sales of aborted baby body parts and to require pain medication for unborn babies capable of feeling pain, ABC News reports. They did pass amendments to protect unborn babies from sex-selection abortions and to add at least some conscience protections for pro-life medical workers.
Abortion activists tried to ram through the radical pro-abortion bill quickly. The bill passed the lower house of parliament in August, just days after pro-abortion lawmakers introduced it.
After the vote Thursday, Catholic Archbishop Anthony Fisher, of Sydney, said the law may be the “worst” one ever passed in New South Wales in modern times.
“… it represents such a dramatic abdication of responsibility to protect the most vulnerable members of our community,” Fisher said.
Here’s more from the Herald:
In a last-ditch attempt to block the bill, 10 MLCs from the upper house signed a protest which was delivered by the clerk’s office to the Governor on Thursday afternoon.
The MPs included One Nation’s Mark Latham and Rod Roberts; Labor’s Courtney Houssos, Greg Donnelly and Shaoquett Moselmane; Liberals Matthew Mason-Cox and Lou Amato; Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Robert Borsak and Mark Banasiak and Christian Democrat Fred Nile.
The protest will have no impact, but was the last option for members to register opposition.
In August, thousands of pro-life advocates gathered in Sydney to urge politicians to protect the rights of unborn babies in their state.
However, pro-life efforts have been met with harassment and death threats. Police charged two people for making death threats against pro-life MPs and a third for allegedly spitting on a peaceful pro-life protester in August.
New South Wales was the last state in Australia that protected unborn babies from abortion. Now, abortions are legal across the country. VOA News reports between 65,000 and 80,000 unborn babies are aborted every year in Australia. That number could go up even more as a result of the New South Wales vote.
New York state lawmakers celebrated in a similar fashion in January when they passed a radical bill legalizing abortions for basically any reason up to birth.
JUST IN: Amaechi’s Chief Security Officer Dies Of Electric Shock In Kaduna
Mr. Tony Iwelu, the CSO to the Minister for Transportation, Mr. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, died of electric shock from a shower hose in his hotel room in Kaduna on Monday February 17, 2020, at about 10:30 AM.
Iwelu had travelled with the Minister to Kaduna to felicitate with Governor Nasiru Elrufai on his birthday when the fatal shock happened.
An aide to the Minister confirmed the death under condition of anonymity as no official statement has been issued, Daily Trust reports.
BREAKING: Supreme Court Adjourns Review Of Imo Judgement
The Supreme Court has adjourned hearing till March 2, in the application by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and sacked Imo Governor, Emeka Ihedioha
The PDP and Ihedioha are, by the application, praying the court to, among others, reverse its judgment on January 14 this, which sacked Ihedioha and replaced him with Hope Uzodinma of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
At the mention of the case on Tuesday, Ihedioha’s lead lawyer, Kanu Agabi sought for time to enable parties file the necessary papers, a request other lawyers in the case did not object to.
A seven-man panel of the Supreme Court, led by the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Ibrahim Muhammad, in a brief ruling, granted the request for adjournment and adjourned till March 2, 2020.
Military Personnel Accompanied Herdsmen Who Killed 8 Persons In Delta — Gov Okowa
Delta State governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, says military personnel accompanied suspected herdsmen who wreaked havoc on some communities in the state last week.
Gunmen had attacked Avwon, Agadama, Ohoror and other communities in Uwheru Kingdom, Ughelli North local government areas of the state on Thursday.
The attacks led to the deaths of at least eight persons while several others sustained injuries.
Okowa, who described the attacks as mindless, called on security agencies to bring the perpetrators to book.
“The unwarranted attacks and killing of innocent locals in Avwon, Agadama and Ohoror communities of Uwheru Kingdom in Ughelli North Local Government Area and the wickedness of suspected herdsmen alleged to be aided and abetted by unidentified military personnel are mindless,” Okowa said.
“I, however, appeal to the affected communities to remain calm and peaceful. I commiserate with the communities and families on the unfortunate loss of their loved ones.
“I have directed the Commissioner of Police and the Brigade Commander, 63 Brigade, Nigerian Army, to rise to the occasion and bring the culprits to justice.
“As a state, our people have been very receptive to herdsmen and other visitors, but our hospitality and welcoming disposition should not be taken as an act of cowardice.
“The state government will continue to encourage peaceful and harmonious relations between Deltans and their visitors but will not watch outsiders attack and kill our people any longer.”