Connect with us

Metro

#SexForGrades: BBC Undercover Journalist Exposes UNILAG Lecturer [VIDEO]

Published

on

Boniface Igbeneghu, UNILAG Lecturer

BBC Africa Eye’s on Monday released a documentary targeted at lecturers in some West African universities harassing their students for sex in exchange for grades/marks.

After gathering dozens of testimonies, BBC Africa Eye sent undercover journalists posing as students inside the University of Lagos and the University of Ghana.

It was disclosed that female reporters were sexually harassed, propositioned and put under pressure by senior lecturers at the institutions – all the while wearing secret cameras in a 13-minutes video documentary released.

A UNILAG senior lecturer, Faculty of Arts, who doubles as the head pastor of a Foursquare Gospel Church in Lagos, Dr. Boniface Igbeneghu, was exposed as one of the culprits.

The undercover journalist posed as a 17-year-old student who wanted an admission at the University of Lagos.

Loading...

The “student” endured a couple of sexual harassment from the Dr. Igbeneghu.

Igbeneghu, who invited the teenager to his office for a number of tutorials, subsequently began to have inappropriate conversations with her.

On their first meeting, he commented on her appearance.

In the 13-minutes secret filming, the lecturer revealed how his colleagues tossed and passed around UNILAG female students for sex.

He disclosed further how his colleagues patronised UNILAG Staff club ‘Cold room’ to commit series of atrocities on female students.

“Do you know that you are a very beautiful girl,” he asked her.

“Do you know that I am a pastor and I’m in my fifties. What will shock you is that even at my age now, if I want a girl of your age – a 17-year-old, all I need is to sweet tongue her and put some money in her hand and I’ll get her,” Igbeneghu said to her on camera.

Despite repeated requests, the lecturer failed to react to the BBC’s allegations.

Also, authorities of UNILAG dissociated itself from the lecturer’s actions.

It revealed to the BBC that the institution had a zero-tolerance policy on sexual harassment.

Furthermore, it refused to comment on the alleged ‘cold room.’

Meanwhile, another lecturer from College of Education in Ghana, Dr. Paul Kwame was also indicted in the video documentary.

In a twitter post by its official handle, @BBCAfricaEye, it said; “for the past year, BBC Africa Eye has been secretly investigating sexual harassment by lecturers at West Africa’s most prestigious universities.

According to the BBC Africa Eye Reporter, @kikimordi who conducted the investigations, she revealed that the investigation was carried out due to the clamour to expose these bad lecturers.

She said: “Hundreds of you asked us to do this investigation. We heard your call #SexForGrades”

Kiki Mordi, who was once a victim of sexual harassment, revealed what happens behind closed doors at some of the region’s most prestigious universities in the video documentary.

Over the years, there have been issues of female students being harassed for sex in return for marks in Nigerian Universities.

Sex-for-mark practice is a common problem in Nigerian institutions, which over the years may had been encouraged by Nigerian universities due to their failure to appropriately sanction erring lecturers.

WATCH VIDEO:

Metro

Serving Kano Commissioner Arrested By EFCC For N76m Fraud

Published

on

Kano State’s Commissioner of Special Duties, Mr Mukhtar Ishaq has been arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over allegations of fraud.

Ishaq was arrested on Thursday February 20 for diverting money meant for Kano Municipal Local Government while he was its chairman.

He was also accused of ordering the deduction of N30,000 from the account of each council member without justification.

The statement added; “Mukhtar’s trouble followed a petition which states that while he was Chairman, Kano Municipal, he allegedly diverted N76,000,000 only which was meant for projects, development and empowerment of the people.”

Loading...
Continue Reading

Metro

Court Acquits 91 Shi’ites Detained In Prison Since 2015

Published

on

Ninety-one members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) also known as Shiites, many of whom have been detained in prison since 2015 have been acquitted after being arraigned before Justice Hajaratu Gwada of Kaduna High Court.

Justice Gwada who ruled on the case in which some of the IMN members were charged with culpable homicide punishable with death, criminal conspiracy and disturbance of peace on Friday February 21, said the Kaduna State Government failed to failed to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt.

Speaking to newsmen after the Kaduna High Court Judge granted a no- case submission, IMN’s counsel, Barrister Maxwell Kyon stated that some of his clients lost their children, wives, admission in tertiary institution while in custody. He averred that the state government must take care of their rehabilitation.

Kyon said; “The government should engage with us and come out with a figure as compensation for those whose four years in detention at the Correctional Centre has been wasted.

“The government made those people to be arrested and remanded in prison. We want government to take responsibility for the dislocation of these people for four years. Many lost their jobs, some lost admissions in tertiary institutions and I know of one whose wife left while he was in prison.

Loading...

“Each has a different loss, the government should sit with us to look at the cases individually. We want to believe government will be responsible enough without been pushed by a court order.

“They knew these people were not guilty based on evidences yet they held them in detention. We will pursue whatever case our clients ask us to do.

“This is the last case pending. The court looked at all the 31 witnesses drawn from police and army, they tendered about 110 evidences. We were able to tell the court that there is nothing linking the suspects to the allegations against them. The court agreed with our no case submission.

“The court was told that the soldiers had already told the IPO that it was a friendly fire from them that killed the deceased, Dan Kaduna whose murder they were tried for.”

Continue Reading

Metro

My Suspension Was Political, Audio — Oluwo

Published

on

The Oluwo of Iwoland, Oba Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi has described his suspension from Osun State Traditional Council meeting held today in Osogbo, the state capital as political.

Describing the points given by the council as porous, lacking in logic and not portray the revered traditional council in good light, Oluwo stated that the council refused to address the allegation that he punched a monarch, the reason for the meeting.

Oba Akanbi said any suspension from the Osun State traditional council meeting is subject to the approval of the state government.

He described the suspension as audio, stating it is unprofessional of the respected Osun State traditional council meeting to make such pronouncement without the approval of the state government.

Reacting through a statement issued by his press secretary, Alli Ibraheem, Oluwo said the argument for the suspension was out of context, saying the reason the emergency meeting was summoned by the council was not addressed.

Loading...

Oluwo said he was surprised to note that his purported suspension for his conduct against certain traditional rulers is strange to the traditional institution book of history and will never stand.

He expressed disappointment that traditional council could be turned to an avenue of playing politics.

He stated the highest level of injustice is for the council to say I was rude to the same Ooni who presided over a meeting where they said I was suspended.

“I was never suspended. The suspension reported by the media is just from the monthly Osun State Traditional Council meeting which is subject to the approval of the state government. It is sad to note that Osun State traditional council could be so political. They said I was rude to Alake, Ooni and Alaafin. And the same Ooni presided over the same meeting that purportedly pronounced my suspension from the Osun State traditional council meeting. If this should stand, many monarchs will not be encouraged to regard the council. It is just an audio pronouncement and an insult to the state government without consultation by the council”.

“We were invited to address the allegation that I punched another Oba. The AIG and the government officials presence came to the meeting as witnesses and gave account that I didn’t beat any Oba. May be because the truth from the witnesses didn’t go with their expectation, they hatched unfounded excuse to make an audio suspension”

“It is pure political and there are many things attached but we keep mute to see how far this will stand”

Continue Reading
Advertisement