The Comptroller-General, Nigerian Customs Service, retried Col. Hameed Ali has insisted that all import and export of goods from the nation’s land borders remain banned until there is an agreement with neighbouring countries on the kind of goods that should enter and exit Nigeria.
According to the customs Don, the measure is for the security agencies to be able to scan the goods entering the country.
He maintained all goods must only enter through the legitimate air and sea ports where they can undergo thorough scanning and certified fit for consumption.
According to him: “We hope that by the time we get to the end of this exercise, we would have exactly between we and our neighbors agree on the type of goods that should enter and exit our country.
“For now, all goods, whether illicit or non-illicit, are banned from going and coming into Nigeria.
“Let me add that for the avoidance of doubt that we included all goods because all goods can equally come through our seaports.
“For that reason, we have deemed it necessary for now that importers of such goods should go through our controlled boarders where we have scanners to verify the kind of goods and how healthy to our people can be conducted.”
The Customs boss broke the news in Abuja during a joint press briefing on joint boarder patrol that is codenamed ‘EX-SWIFT RESPONSE.”
The Ex-SWIFT RESPONSE is coordinated by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) comprising the Nigerian Police Force, Nigerian Customs Service (NCS), Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS), the Nigerian Armed Forces and other security agencies to address trans-boarder security issues.
He insisted that despite the rights for movement of persons the enabling ECOWAS protocols, there must be primacy of security over such rights.
Ali, who was asked whether the Federal Government had not breached the rights of the citizenry to movement and international trade, said that “when it comes to security, all laws take back a seat.
“We want to our nation, we want make sure that our people are protected. You must be alive and well for you to begin to ask for your rights. Your rights come when you are well and alive.
“Go and the people in Maiduguri when Boko Haram was harassing their lives, the only question was survival, there is no question of right. This time Nigeria must survive first then before we begin to ask for our rights.”
Nigeria Records 499 New COVID-19 Cases, Total Now 30,748
Nigeria has recorded 499 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of infections in the country to 30,748.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) made this known via its Twitter handle on Thursday.
“499 new cases of #COVID19; Lagos-157 Edo-59 Ondo-56 Oyo-31 Akwa Ibom-22 Borno-21 Plateau-19 Kaduna-18 Katsina-18 Bayelsa-17 FCT-17 Delta-14 Kano-11 Rivers-10 Enugu-8 Ogun-6 Kwara-4 Imo-3 Nasarawa-2 Osun-2 Abia-1 Ekiti-1 Niger-1 Yobe-1.”
499 new cases of #COVID19;
499 new cases of #COVID19;
689 deaths pic.twitter.com/F44yWh4c4y
— NCDC (@NCDCgov) July 9, 2020
WAEC Can’t Determine When Schools Will Reopen — FG
Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, has said that Nigerian schools will not reopen any time soon until it is safe to do so because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
He has therefore said that final year students preparing for the Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE) will not be allowed to return to school contrary to what had earlier been believed.
Addressing State House correspondents after the virtual meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) in Abuja on Wednesday, Adamu stated that the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) cannot determine the resumption date of schools for Nigeria.
He said he would prefer that Nigerian students lose an academic year than to expose them to dangers.
He appealed to States that have announced the resumption of school in their states to reconsider their position so as not to jeopardize the lives of the students, adding, “It is not safe to reopen schools now.”
BREAKING: Nigerian Students Won’t Write 2020 WAEC — FG Declares
Final year secondary school students in Nigeria won’t participate in the forthcoming West African Examination Council(WAEC) examinations, the Federal Government has declared.
The Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, who disclosed this to State House Correspondents on Wednesday after the week’s virtual Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting, also said there is no date for school resumption yet.
He said he would prefer Nigerian students lose an academic year to expose them to dangers.
- Biafra News5 days ago
We Do Not Expect Everybody To Support Biafra Agitation — Nnamdi Kanu
- Metro3 days ago
VIDEO: “My Wife Believed In Me When I Had Nothing, That’s Why She Owns Part Of Coscharis Group” — Billionaire Businessman, Cosmos Maduka
- News3 days ago
Place Magu On Watch-List So He Won’t Run Away — Fayose Alerts DSS, Army, Others
- Metro6 days ago
Nigerian Lady Dies After Getting Burnt While Answering Phone Call Close To Cooking Gas
- Biafra News7 days ago
“Nnamdi Kanu Is My Leader” — Uche Mefor Clears Air On Alleged Rift With IPOB Leader
- Inside Nigeria6 days ago
Buhari Not Interested In Fighting Insurgency — Galadima
- Entertainment7 days ago
Kim Kardashian Is NOT A Billionaire — Forbes Reacts To Kanye West’s Claim
- News5 days ago
Hushpuppi: I Am Ready To Go To Jail If… — Dogara