The Arewa Youth Consultative Forum (AYCF) has accused the task force in Lagos of humiliating and harassing northerners in the state, describing it as totally unacceptable.
In a statement on Monday, the AYCF led by Shettima Yerima, accused the task force of going to residential areas at odd hours to harass and arrest these northerners.
While demanding an explanation from the Lagos State Government, the group called on President Muhammadu Buhari to urgently intervene to forestall any likely consequence of extreme provocation.
Many of the residents affected are said to be owners of motorcycles, most of which are operated on commercial bases, but Yerima argues that Lagos never banned their operation, saying that the laws of the state only restricted them to certain roads.
Read the full statement below:
Our attention has been drawn to an ongoing brigandage in Lagos against innocent Northerners who are in Lagos to earn their living legitimately. We reliably gathered that, using a gestapo style the Lagos Task Force officials have been invading homes of Northerners in Lagos in ungodly hours of the night and carting away motorcycles while forcefully abducting the occupants and hauling them into detention. We dare say we have not seen this kind of Impunity against Northerners in recent years. It is even strange that this is coming from the Southwest, a region that expects the North to hand over the 2023 Presidency to its own. We have reason to now wonder if the Southwest truly expects the North to make it a successor in 2023.
Consequently, the AYCF declares as follows:
1. We find totally unacceptable the use of force to invade the homes of Northerners in the wee hours of the night and “arresting” them for no legal or
2. We are not aware of any law by Lagos State Government banning Okada, even though we know that restrictions have been imposed on Okada in selected Lagos communities. It is therefore imperative that the either the Lagos State Government or the Task Force explain the legal and Constitutional basis for this action. It was very touching when we saw the Task Force officials raiding homes with majority of Northerners in Oshodi area on the wee hours of the night.
2. We demand immediate explanation for this humiliating operation, let either the Lagos State Government tell the world that it officially sanctioned this gestapo operation or it was the instruction of Task Force boss that we are seeing this physical assault on our people.
3. We are deeply disturbed by this rather uncivilized conduct in the 21st century, happening in a supposedly cosmopolitan city like Lagos. We gathered that the people in many Northern States are already tensed up by the news filtering out of Lagos since Thursday through Saturday. And we dare say this kind of tension in the north has very often been a precursor to revenge attacks. Something drastic must be done to avoid a recurrence of past security challenges caused by the humiliation of Northerners in Lagos.
4. We call on President Buhari to take drastic steps in ensuring this impunity by Lagos State Government or Task Force is halted immediately. We call on all security agencies to take immediate steps in averting a situation capable of destabilizing the country. Northerners, like other Nigerians, have every right to movement for trade anywhere in the country as guaranteed by the constitutional provision on freedom of movement.
5. Most importantly, we call for the immediate release from prison all the innocent Northerners whose homes were raided in the ungodly hour by Task Force officials. This, in our candid view, will be the first step in ensuring justice for the innocent Northerners. Why haul them into detention, in defiance of well-known constitutional provisions or the Rule of Law in general?
6. We wish to reiterate that any further attempt to humiliate innocent Northerners in any part of this country will be resisted by our group with all the available legal and constitutional weapons. In a balanced world, institutions are created for tackling problems but not in the manner Lagos State Government through the Task Force is currently doing to our own people. It is therefore a smear on decorum, disrespectful of human dignity and a brazen abuse of official powers. And this is totally unacceptable.
Whoever has ear, let him hear. Enough of this physical assault on innocent Northerners in Lagos, we so warn!
Alhaji Yerima Shettima
S/Court Ruling: What Happened In Imo Enough For INEC Chair To Resign — APC Chieftain
A chieftain of the All Progressive Congress, Mr Peter Esele, said on Friday that the Independent National Electoral Commission should take all the blames for the verdict of the Supreme Court on the Imo election.
Esele, a former President of the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria, made the declaration while speaking in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Benin.
He argued that Nigerians should look beyond the controversy of the judgment and address the foundation of the judgment
The activist noted that the judgment underscored the inefficiency and ineptitude of INEC.
According to him, the result of the governorship election, held on March 9, 2019, in Imo should not have been announced in the first place because so many irregularities were reported during the election.
Esele said that in view of the reported irregularities, one would have expected INEC to have cancelled the election and have a proper election conducted.
“INEC did not do its job properly so that is why Supreme Court judges are intervening.”
The APC stalwart stressed that for the Supreme Court to have a unanimous decision over a matter or election, it means the election was badly conducted.
“So what happened in Imo State is enough for the INEC chairman to resign if Nigeria is a sane clime where things are done properly.
“Whoever is aggrieved has to accept it because the Supreme Court is the highest court in the land,” said Esele.
Group Gives Tinubu 24 Hours To Reveal Position On Amotekun
A Southwest Association, Save Lagos Group, has given the All Progressives Congress stalwart, Bola Tinubu, 24 hours to reveal his position on the Western Nigeria Security Network codenamed ‘Operation Amotekun’.
Tinubu, who is seen as the leader of the Southwest by many, has remained silent on Amotekun which was launched by Southwest governors last week.
The Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, SAN, had on Tuesday declared the outfit as illegal while the Southwest governors have remained unfazed.
In a statement on Friday, the Convener, Save Lagos Group, Adeniyi Sulaiman, said the group was giving Tinubu 24 hours to speak up.
Sulaiman asked Tinubu, who is an advocate of restructuring, to be courageous regardless of his rumoured Presidential ambition.
The activist rubbished threats by northern groups like the Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore which stated that supporting Amotekun may cost the Southwest the Presidency in 2023.
He said it was hypocritical of the Federal Government to allow Shariah Police, Hisbah, to operate in more than 10 northern states while it declared Amotekun, which is operating only in the Southwest as illegal.
The SLG convener said the safety of the people of the Southwest was worth more important than any Presidential ambition.
He commended several personalities like Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka; Afenifere chieftain, Chief Ayo Debanjo; activist, Mr. Femi Falana, SAN; Chief Olu Falae, Otunba Gani Adams and several others for speaking up for the people of the region.
PHOTOS: Soldiers Invade, Burn Ijaw Community
Troops of Joint Task Force (JTF) Operation Delta Safe (ODS) have invaded and burnt part of Bilabiri community in Ekeremor Local Government Area, Bayelsa State, The Nation reports.
It was gathered that soldiers attacked the community on Friday morning and forced residents to flee into the creeks for safety.