Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu has condemned the invasion of the courtroom by Department of State Services (DSS) to rearrest #RevolutionNow convener, Omoyele Sowore on Friday December 6.
Though the DSS and the Presidency have shared their own account of the incident, the Governor of Sowore’s home state insisted that there is no explanation anyone can give to justify the invasion of the courtroom.
Akeredolu also expressed fear of lawyers being arrested in the middle of court sessions.
He said, “It should be an anathema to the bar that inaction has come upon us. The bar needs to talk on quite a number of things.
“We must be terror against demagogues. It is when your voice of the bar is heard consistently that it will earn respect. Will people go and desecrate our courtrooms and we keep quiet? The bar must condemn it. There is no explanation anybody can give you.
“Somebody calls it drama. Drama! How? What we saw was not drama, you must stand up to condemn the SSS for what they did in Abuja.
“Our spirit must remain indomitable. Forget about where we are today because enough of us made efforts to say what you have done is wrong and only way out was apology almost immediately but what people believe is different.
“If we are not careful, the day will come that people will walk into a judge’s sitting and arrest people with their wig and gown.”
BREAKING: DSS Bar Journalists From Premises Of Magu’s Probe
Men of the Department of State Service (DSS) on Monday barred journalists from gaining access to Conference Centre of the State House where the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, was being grilled.
News broke on Monday of the alleged arrest of Magu by the DSS.
However, State House Correspondents went over to the Conference Centre to ascertain the state of the development.
Men of the DSS, many of whom had been stationed within the premises of the Conference Centre, however, asked the journalists to leave the premises.
“They said you people should excuse the use of this place for today,” a security official detailed to the venue, politely told reporters.
JUST IN: DSS Arrests EFCC Chairman, Ibrahim Magu
The Department of State Services (DSS) has arrested Ibrahim Magu, acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
It was that DSS operatives arrived the EFCC headquarters in Abuja Monday afternoon and quietly whisked him away without creating any scene.
His arrest comes a few days after Abubakar Malami, attorney-general of the federation (AGF), accused the anti-graft czar of gross infractions.
The AGF asked President Muhammadu Buhari to sack Magu over some “weighty” allegations, including the diversion of recovered loot.
In addition to allegedly re-looting the recovered loot, Malami accused the acting EFCC chairman of insubordination and misconduct.
It was also learnt that the EFCC chief travelled to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates without the authorisation of the president during the COVID-19 lockdown.
And when he was questioned, he said he went for an investigation.
He is also alleged to be living above his means.
In 2016, the senate declined to confirm the appointment of Magu as EFCC chairman after a DSS report indicted him of corruption.
The report read: “Magu is currently occupying a residence rented for N40m at N20m per annum. This accommodation was not paid [for] from the commission’s finances, but by one Umar Mohammed, air commodore retired, a questionable businessman who has subsequently been arrested by the secret service.
“For the furnishing of the residence, Magu enlisted the Federal Capital Development Authority to award a contract to Africa Energy, a company owned by the same Mohammed, to furnish the residence at the cost of N43m.”
Buhari Condemns Boko Haram’s Attack On UN Helicopter In Northeast
President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned what he called “the dastardly attack on UN aid helicopter in the Northeast on Saturday by the Boko Haram terrorists.”
In a reaction to the reports of the incident, President Buhari said:
“This latest cowardly attack on the UN humanitarian helicopter is yet another desperate rear guard action by the Boko Haram terrorists who have been under intense pressure from the Nigerian military.”
“Let me reassure the international community and Nigerians that this latest cowardly attack on a UN helicopter which claimed the lives of two people, including a five year old baby, would not go without severe consequences.”
“Boko Haram terrorists are clearly on the back foot and their increasing attacks on innocent civilians, including UN humanitarian workers, was part of their desperation to prove that they are strong in order to cover up their dwindling fortunes.”
President Buhari said “the security of foreigners and Nigerians remain the top priority of this administration, and we shall leave no stone unturned until we eliminate these remorseless enemies of humanity.”
The President also underscored the need for all humanitarian and other aid workers in the region to, at all times, properly coordinate movements — air or land, with the Theatre Commander and other military authorities.
- Metro5 days ago
Student With Highest JAMB Score, Agnes Maduafokwa Receives ₦16 Million From NSE
- Metro6 days ago
Igbo Statues ‘Stolen’ During Nigerian Civil War Sold For N85.6m By British Auctioneer
- World7 days ago
Former French PM, François Fillon And His Wife Sentenced To Jail For Embezzling Public Funds
- News4 days ago
Buhari, Hushpuppi Are In The Same Business Of Defrauding People — Aisha Yesufu
- Metro5 days ago
Dog Kills New Twin Babies After Mother Briefly Leaves The Room
- News6 days ago
BREAKING: Court Rejects Melaye’s Suit Against Infectious Disease Bill
- Metro5 days ago
JUST IN: Pregnant Woman Chops Off Husband’s Manhood [PHOTOS]
- Metro5 days ago
Nigerian Man In Prison For 6 Years Without Trial After He Was Allegedly Arrested While Charging His Laptop At Neighbour’s House