Connect with us

Sports

How I Peed On The Posts To Break Witch Curse On Liverpool ― Bruce Grobbelaar

Published

on

Legendary Zimbabwean and Liverpool goalkeeper, Bruce Grobbelaar has revealed the bizarre reason why he believes his former club will go on to win the Premier League title this season.

Grobbelaar, known for his lively character and fiery personality, opened up on a secret prior to Liverpool’s Premier League clash with Watford on Saturday lunchtime.

The 62-year-old recounted a story in which he claimed a curse had been placed on Anfield, before he was able to lift it in the most unusual of methods.

“I had a testimonial in 1992 and I was sponsored by Zambezi lager and they sent a witchdoctor with the lager,” Grobbelaar began.

“He went around on the posts and put his goat’s tail, put his water on the posts of both sides, got the microphone and said, “If you don’t have the jungle man Bruce Grobbelaar here, you won’t win the title”.

“Of course, I went back to South Africa, went to Canada, came back. Remember when Stevie G, he slipped? One night game I went down to the Kop end, I peed on the posts.

“That breaks the spell. I got thrown out. I didn’t do the Anfield Road and we finished second.”

Undeterred, however, Grobbelaar was determined to carry out his task and complete his urinating mission.

“I fulfilled my task. Last season I played in a corporate game here, we were in the dressing room and the guy said “you have to do the business today”.

“I said, “okay”. I took a water bottle, poured the water out, peed in the bottle, came back,” he added.

“First-half at the Kop end, I splashed it all over the posts. Second-half, I came down to the Anfield Road end and splashed it all over the posts. End of last season,” Grobbelaar concluded to fits of laughter in the BT Sport studio, according to DailyMail UK report,

Whether Grobbelaar’s strange intervention will pay off still remains to be seen, though Jurgen Klopp’s Reds continue their meteoric rise in the English top flight.

Liverpool are unbeaten heading into the Christmas period, with an eight-point lead over second-placed Leicester and 11 points over rivals Manchester City.

Grobbelaar made 626 appearances for the Reds in a glittering 14-year career, in which he won six First Division titles, three FA Cups and three League Cups as well as playing a starring role in the 1984 European Cup final victory.

Advertisement
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Kelvin Agbogidi

    December 16, 2019 at 12:05 am

    This is laughable so he thinks that is behind Liverpool’s successes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Premier League Set To Resume On June 17

Published

on

Premier League football is poised to return after a three-month shutdown, with top-flight games in England provisionally set to resume on Wednesday, June 17.

The resumption of soccer in England follows Germany’s Bundesliga, which began play last week. It adds momentum to a comeback of sports, with several North American leagues also making plans to find a way back to play. Serie A, which has been suspended since March 10 in hard-hit Italy, announced on Thursday that it would also return, on June 20.

The Premier League’s return would come after weeks of uncertainty amid disagreement among teams over the possibilities. Germany’s successful return to action earlier this month, with the league completing two rounds of action without incident, helped build consensus among executives of England’s leading teams who would have faced huge losses should the season be called off.

The agreement still requires final clearance from British authorities.

In recent days, momentum had been building that the league would return to action after similar moves to complete the season without fans in a growing number of leagues across Europe. English teams earlier this week agreed to protocols for the resumption of full contact practice, a necessary step before competing in games again.

The Coronavirus Outbreak
Latest Updates
Maps and Cases
States Reopening
Answers to Your Questions
Newsletter
English Premier League Plans to Resume June 17
The most-watched league in the world will return, pending a signoff from health authorities, but will play in stadiums without fans and with stringent health protocols. Italy’s top league also announced its return.

The Premier League’s return adds momentum to a return of major sports leagues in the pandemic.
The Premier League’s return adds momentum to a return of major sports leagues in the pandemic.Credit…Andy Rain/EPA, via Shutterstock
By Tariq Panja
May 28, 2020

LONDON — The English Premier League, the most-watched sports league in the world, plans to resume play on June 17 after a two-month hiatus caused by the coronavirus pandemic, league officials announced on Thursday.

The resumption of soccer in England follows Germany’s Bundesliga, which began play last week. It adds momentum to a comeback of sports, with several North American leagues also making plans to find a way back to play. Serie A, which has been suspended since March 10 in hard-hit Italy, announced on Thursday that it would also return, on June 20.

The Premier League’s return would come after weeks of uncertainty amid disagreement among teams over the possibilities. Germany’s successful return to action earlier this month, with the league completing two rounds of action without incident, helped build consensus among executives of England’s leading teams who would have faced huge losses should the season be called off.

The agreement still requires final clearance from British authorities.

In recent days, momentum had been building that the league would return to action after similar moves to complete the season without fans in a growing number of leagues across Europe. English teams earlier this week agreed to protocols for the resumption of full contact practice, a necessary step before competing in games again.

The first games on the schedule will be Aston Villa hosting Sheffield United and Arsenal’s visit to Manchester City. Those games were postponed earlier in the season because of a clash in the calendar.

Several setbacks had suggested that the Premier League might not find a solution to completing the season. Some players raised doubts about returning to action during the pandemic, and a number of smaller teams objected to the possibility of having to play the remaining games at neutral sites. Some of the more high-profile games are almost certain to be played at secondary venues to help manage crowds.

Continue Reading

Sports

Shenhua ‘Open’ To Man Utd Keeping Ighalo Until January

Published

on

Chinese club, Shanghai Shenhua are reportedly open to allowing Odion Ighalo to remain at Manchester United after it was revealed that Chinese Super League’s foreign players are banned from returning to China until October

As the border restrictions may prevent Ighalo from returning to his parent club Shanghai Shenhua, in time for the start of the new season in June, Shenhua are now willing to allow Odion Ighalo remain at Manchester United until January, according to Sky Sport.

This comes days after Ighalo’s agent Ladi Salami confirmed that an extension is close to being agreed between Manchester United, Shanghai Shenhua and Odion Ighalo.

Ladi Salami told FootMercato: “On the one hand, the Super Eagle [Nigerian] feels very good in Manchester with which it is very close to a salary agreement.

“Negotiations with the Chinese are ongoing and are going well.”

”On the other hand, in view of the latest regulations in force in the Middle Empire, it is almost impossible to offer such amounts.’

Since signing for Manchester United on a short-term loan deal from Shanghai Shenhua back in January, the Nigerian International has made a valuable contribution, scoring four times in just three starts.

Continue Reading

Sports

Shenhua Offers Odion Ighalo N180m-A-Week Contract

Published

on

Shanghai Shenhua has reportedly offered Odion Ighalo a new deal worth around £360,000-a-week (N180m) amid interest from Newcastle United.

According to The Times, Ighalo is set for a return to China. His Manchester United loan deal ends in six days, which was the agreed length when the Red Devils signed him in January.

Of course, things have changed since then. The global pandemic means that Ighalo hasn’t been able to see out the season at Old Trafford, as was initially intended.

Ighalo wants to stay at United, but talks between the two clubs have allegedly stalled. It now looks like the striker will be heading back to China on Sunday.

In order to try and keep Ighalo happy long-term, Shanghai Shenhua have allegedly offered him a new deal. Ighalo would be earning £75million over four years if he accepts, which is around £360,000-a-week.

Ighalo’s desire to stay in England may be a problem though. He’s a boyhood United fan, and fans have taken to him quickly despite initial bemusement at his arrival in January.

Meanwhile, Sky Sports recently claimed that Newcastle want him. Their huge takeover could go through soon, providing them with major backing in the transfer market.

Newcastle may be able to rival Shanghai Shenhua’s riches, but whether that is a good idea is another matter.

Ighalo turns 31 this summer and played just 61 minutes of Premier League action before the pandemic hit, so paying such huge money for the ex-Watford man would be a big risk.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

HOTTEST TOPICS