The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), has announced plans to deploy drone cameras to 700 identified examination centres to track down irregular activities during exams including malpractices.
Professor Ishaq Oloyede, the board’s Registrar made this known during the second day of meeting with Computer Based Test (CBT) centres operators with the States coordinators of the Board, financial institutions and internet service providers in Zaria, Kaduna State on Thursday, December 19.
He was addressing CBT centres operators about their investments with the board when he revealed there are on going plans to deploy drone cameras to all the identified 700 examination centres.
According to him: “You have nothing to fear and you should know that, if you put your investments together, it can’t be up to N20bn and we have accrued N20bn in three years as an agency.
“As Agency of government, we have to ensure that small and medium scale businesses strive and if you multiply 11 staff by 700, you will know better. We are also adding value to the economy and job creation out of your employment market and we will continue to support you once you are doing your work well.”
To check registration and examination scandals, the Registrar directed that “all CCTV must be wired, all camera must cover verification areas, coding areas, walk ways, examination hall, server room and entrance and exit in all centres. We will also use drones to monitor the centres.”
In the area of prosecution of those caught in the past he said, “100 candidates caught red-handed are under prosecution – 20 jailed and 80 others are under investigation.
“Last year was for the prosecution of candidates. By the grace of God, it is the turn of CBT centres to be prosecuted. If you do work well, it will reduce the cost of running from one court to the other.”
It was announced that the board have generated N20 billion from University and Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME) between 2016 to 2019.
Presidential Committee Seeks Scrap Of Alcohol Adverts
The Presidential Advisory Committee for the Elimination of Drug Abuse has recommended thay the adverts on alcohol and other recreational drugs be scrapped to discourage its use.
Chairman of the Committee, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa made the announcement while appearing on Channels Television “Sunrise Daily”.
He said the recommendation of scrap of such adverts which is contained in the 2019 report the committee submitted to President Buhari, will discourage its use.
Marwa said, “You really can’t say zero-alcohol because people have the rights. But when you consume more than is required and perhaps you are caught driving drunk, you know there is a penalty. So these penalties also have to be enforced. The drug control scourge in Nigeria, unless it is tackled, we are finished.”
He further disclosed that the second committee is expected to meet later this week and he would be “surprised” if the recommendations in its report does not “start in another month.”
BREAKING: Court Strikes Out Charges Of Non-Declaration Of Assets Against Ekweremadu
The Federal High Court in Abuja, on Monday, struck out charges of non-declaration of assets instituted against a former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, by the defunct Special Presidential Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property.
The dissolved panel then led by Mr. Okoi Obono-Obla had in 2018 instituted the case marked FHC/ABJ/CR/62/2018 against Ekweremadu, alleging that, “without reasonable excuse”, the serving senator refused and neglected to declare his assets upon being served the panel’s “notice to declare”.
The AGF office took over the case and other suits being handled by the SPIP upon a presidential directive dissolving the panel in 2019.
On Monday, Justice Binta Nyako struck out the case against Ekweremadu after the prosecuting counsel from the AGF office, Mr Pius Akutah, said the former lawyer handling the case for the panel had disappeared with the case file.
Akutah pleaded with the judge to order the former counsel to release the file to the AGF office but the request was declined by the judge.
But Ekweremadu’s lawyer, Chief Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), urged the judge to strike out the case.
Responding, Justice Nyako dismissed the prosecution’s request.
She said, “You are attorney general (referring to the lawyer as representing the AGF), you should know what to do.
“You should not be waiting for me to make an order against an individual.”
Justice Nyako added, “So, as it is today, you don’t know the case against the defendant since you don’t have the file. I am going to strike out the case, when you are ready you can come back.
“The case is hereby struck out for want of diligent prosecution. The prosecution is allowed to come back whenever they are ready to proceed with the case.”
The PUNCH reports that Ekweremadu was present in court and stood in the dock while the proceedings lasted on Monday.
Minister Orders Staff To Fast Against Boko Haram
The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Farouq, has directed the staff of her ministry to embark on solidarity fast with the government and people of Borno state.
The fast, which is slated for today, is aimed at ending the activities of Boko Haram members in Borno and other parts of the North East.
The directive is contained in a statement by the Assistant Director Information of the Ministry, Rhoda Iliya.
It reads: “The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, the Permanent Secretary, Directors and staff of the Ministry have resolved to fast and embark on special supplications to the Almighty on Monday, February 24, 2020, in solidarity with the government and people of Borno state.
“In a notice issued to staff of the Ministry, the Minister urged all staff of the Ministry to voluntarily fast on Monday and pray for a quick end to the carnage caused in Borno State and other parts of the North East by the Boko Haram terror group.”
Iliya noted that directive was accepted enthusiastically by the staff of the Ministry.
Borno Governor, Babagana Zulum, had in a recent broadcast urged the people of Borno state to fast on Monday and and offer special supplications to God for an end to the destructive insurgency by Boko Haram in the North East.