Connect with us

World

34 US Troops Left With Brain Injuries After Iran’s Revenge Airstrikes

Published

on

About thirty-four US soldiers have been diagnosed with concussion or traumatic brain injury following the Iranian missile attack on US bases, the Pentagon has confirmed.

The strikes were launched on January 8 in retaliation for the death of top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani who was killed in a United States drone strike ordered by President Donald Trump.

The Pentagon spokesman, Jonathan Hoffman, said on Friday that eight service members who had been previously transported to Germany had been moved to the United States.

This comes days after Trump played down the injuries, saying service personnel had suffered “headaches” in the aftermath.

President Trump had said that the US “suffered no casualties” from the attack, which was a reprisal for the US drone strike assassination of the Iranian general Qassem Suleimani.

Questioned later about reports of brain injury, Trump downplayed their severity: “I heard that they had headaches. And a couple of other things. But I would say, and I can report, it is not very serious.”

Hoffman confirmed the injuries on Friday, adding: “This is a snapshot in time, what he wanted to make sure is that you’re provided with the most accurate numbers.”

Michael Kaplen, chair of the New York State Traumatic Brain Injury Services Coordinating Council and past president of the Brain Injury Association of New York State said that he was “shocked at the ignorant statement” made by Trump.

“To equate traumatic brain injuries as just a headache is insulting and disrespectful to the thousands of military service members suffering from the signature wound of the Iraq/Afghanistan conflict,” he said.

He added that the condition, also known as TBI, is a “life-altering” injury.

“It’s physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioral consequences affect every aspect of an individual’s life,” he said. “A brain injury is only ‘mild’ if it is someone else’s brain. There is nothing “mild” about a mild brain injury.”

World

CNN Anchor, Brooke Baldwin Tests Positive For Coronavirus

Published

on

Barely three days after her colleague, Chris Cuomo revealed that he has COVID-19, CNN anchor, Brooke Baldwin has tested positive for Coronavirus.

Baldwin, who hosts “CNN Newsroom with Brooke Baldwin,” from the network’s offices in New York City, is now the second CNN anchor to be infected with Coronavirus after Chris Cuomo announced his positive diagnosis on Tuesday.

Sharing the news on Instagram, she wrote:

‘Hi friends – I’ve tested positive for coronavirus, I am OKAY. It came on suddenly yesterday afternoon. Chills, aches, fever.

I’ve been social distancing. Doing ALL the things we’re being told to do. Still – it got me.

I’m healthy… no underlying conditions…Honestly, I feel like one of the lucky ones. I look forward to being back on TV and seeing you real soon.

And shout out to the doctors and nurses who are doing the real work right now.

Sending BB

PS I am listening to Bill Withers on repeat. I knew him, adored him and will miss him.’

Continue Reading

Top Story

BREAKING: WHO Suspends Polio Vaccination To Fight COVID-19

Published

on

The Director-General of the World Health Organisation (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has announced the body’s decision to suspend house to house polio vaccination to reduce the risk of coronavirus transmission.

Ghebreyesus disclosed this on Friday during a media briefing on coivid-19.

According to him, “To reduce the risk of increasing transmission of COVID19, the polio oversight board has made the hard decision to suspend house-to-house vaccination campaigns, knowing that this may lead to an increase in polio cases.”

He said that the Global Polio Eradication Initiative was “working to ensure that once it is safe to do so, countries can be supported to rapidly restart polio vaccination campaigns.”

The WHO DG explained that despite the effect of the coronavirus, the “EndPolio is unshakeable”

He however said that the coronavirus pandemic was a more deadly enemy, adding that WHO would support countries in the fight against other diseases.

“To reduce this risk, we will support countries to maintain essential immunization for all vaccine preventable diseases.

‘WHO has published guidance for countries on how to maintain essential health services even while responding to this crisis,” he said.

Continue Reading

World

Famous Italian Shoe Designer Sergio Rossi Dies Of Coronavirus

Published

on

Sergio Rossi, one of the most famous Italian shoe designers, has died of the coronavirus disease, an Italian official said on Friday.

Several Italian media reported that Rossi, who was born in 1935, died on Thursday in a hospital in Cesena in the northern Emilia-Romagna region.

Luciana Garbuglia, the Mayor of San Mauro Pascoli, confirmed the death and its link to the novel COVID-19 to dpa.

San Mauro Pascoli is Rossi’s birthplace in Emilia-Romagna.

The Sergio Rossi Company was founded in 1951 and gained fame in the 1960s.

Its shoes featured in the Italian film classic “La Dolce Vita”, as worn by lead actress Anita Ekberg.

The company was sold to Gucci in 1999 and later became part of the French PPR-Kering luxury group, and returned under Italian hands in 2015 with the Invest-industrial private equity fund.

According to the Adnkronos news agency, the luxury shoemaker had recently donated 100,000 euros ($108,000) for a hospital in Milan, treating novel coronavirus patients.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

HOTTEST TOPICS