Connect with us

News

One Killed, 13 Injured As Suicide Bombers Attack Borno

Published

on

Two female suicide bombers have attacked a mosque in Gwoza, Borno state, killing a 12-year-old boy and injuring thirteen others.

It was gathered that the female bombers tried to force their way into the mosque during the early morning prayers before some persons in the neighborhood raised an alarm.

Some residents suspect that the suicide bombers might have infiltrated the town during a wedding which held at the palace of the Emir of Gwoza on Saturday.

Police authorities in the state say the area has been cordoned off while soldiers from 192 Battalion have been deployed there.

Borno state has been the worst hit in the resurgence of Boko haram attacks in the Northeast.

Loading...

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

I’m A Miracle Governor — Diri

Published

on

Bayelsa Governor, Senator Douye Diri, has dubbed himself a miracle governor.

“I christen myself a miracle governor,” he told reporters in Abuja.

“I christen myself a miracle governor. At a point everybody gave up. We were the only party (PDP) the APC could not approach. We filed in court. The only place we had hope was in the judiciary.

“The case between APC and APC was thrown out. The APC applauded the Supreme Court and on Thursday February 13, 2020 the hammer came,” Diri said.

He added: “We were in the wilderness and a torturous journey but here we are a miracle governor. They attempted to use the so-called federal might to impose somebody on Bayelsa.

Loading...

“There were those who said there will be no governor in Bayelsa State. To the glory of God Bayelsa State has a governor. I am indeed a miracle governor.”

Diri was sworn in as Bayelsa State Governor on February 14, 2020 following the Supreme Court’s disqualification of the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, David Lyon and his deputy, Senator Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo, over alleged discrepancies in Degi-Eremienyo name.

On his agenda for the state, Diri said that he was part and parcel of the immediate past government in the state and did not need to be told where to start.

He noted however that principally, his administration would focus and re-energise the economy of the state to make it more vibrant.

He said that they would work to refocus Bayelsans from being civil servants alone.

Diri who assured that they knew where they were going said that education would also be top priority of his administration.

On the Supreme Court ruling that disqualified the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate David Lyon and his deputy Senator Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo, he said that PDP did not take forgery case to court.

Diri said: “What we took to court was a case of false information. The onus was on him to prove how and why he had the multiple names. We did not institute a case of forgery. It was a case of false information.”

On his deputy, Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpor, alleged to have falsified his National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) certificate, Diri claimed that there was no case.

The governor noted that NYSC misspelt the name of his deputy in the certificate issued him.

Ewhrudjakpor, he said, wrote NYSC to complain that the certificate issued to him was not his because his name was wrongly written.

He added that even the case Ewhrudjakpor instituted before they were inaugurated was dead on arrival “because he now enjoys immunity.”

Diri said that even before he was inaugurated, his message had been “reconciliation, reconciliation, reconciliation because we are all Bayelsans.”

On violence and destruction of property in the state after the Supreme Court ruling, he said that people in the state should appreciate the fact that “violence is an ill wind that blows nobody any good.”

He said: “Nobody has monopoly of violence. We will not be pushed to that. We have started with reconciliation. The Ijaw people are happy with the court judgement.

“Bayelsa is peaceful contrary to the false impression some are creating. In spite of provocation, Bayelsa is peaceful. The 120,000 votes APC claimed to have got from Southern Ijaw was not more than 30,000 to 35,000.”

Continue Reading

News

Bauchi Governor, Bala Mohammed Awards N3.6 Billion Contract To His Own Company

Published

on

Bauchi State governor, Bala Mohammed, has awarded a N3.6 billion shady contract to a company reportedly owned by him.

This, according to a report by Premium Times, is in clear contravention of Code of Conduct and Public Procurement laws.

The contract was for the supply of a whopping 105 “officials vehicles” for the use of the governor and other government officials.

Just like the award of the contract, delivery by the contractor remains controversial with allegations of shady execution.

Officials familiar with the issue said the contract awarded to Adda Nigeria Limited, a company in which Mr Mohammed retains a 20 per cent stake, was one of his first actions as governor.

Loading...

The former minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) was elected governor of the northeastern state in a poll that was seen as a referendum against the then incumbent Mohammed Abubakar who sought a second term.

Prior to his election as governor, Mr Mohammed was standing trial for alleged corruption during his stay as the FCT minister.

The anti-corruption agency, EFCC, first filed six-count charges against Mr Mohammed on October 10, 2017. He was accused of abuse of office and land racketeering. He denied the charges.

In April 2019, weeks after his election as governor, the agency slammed amended charges on Mr Mohammed before the FCT High Court, accusing him, among other things, of receiving a house valued at N550 million in gratification.

He was also accused of failing to disclose his ownership of some property.

With his inauguration as governor on May 29, the EFCC halted Mr Mohammed’s prosecution, in deference to the constitutional immunity from prosecution enjoyed by holders of such positions in Nigeria.

Mr Mohammed is now engrossed in a fresh scandal from his first days as Bauchi governor.

The controversial contract is among government contracts awarded by the governor prior to constituting the state executive council.

Other required procedures were also ignored as the paperwork was only hastened months after the actual contract award.

Contracts of this nature are expected to follow standard bidding processes through open competitive bidding, according to the Bauchi State Public Procurement, Budget Monitoring and Price Intelligence Agency law.

Continue Reading

News

Customs Threatens To Close Shops Selling Foreign Rice

Published

on

The Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) has issued a warning to shop owners that are still selling foreign rice despite the closure of land borders across the country.

This warning was issued by customs area comptroller in charge of Kano/Jigawa, Ahmed Nasir who made it known via a letter with reference number NCS/KAN/053/S.28 and dated February 17, 2020.

Ahmed Nasir said the aim of the border closure is to put an end to smuggling activities across the country.

“In our effort to suppress smuggling, the Nigerian Customs Service Kano/Jigawa area command deemed it fit to write and seek for your cooperation to stop patronising foreign rice and other prohibited items in your supermarket/shops to avoid being closed by customs operatives,” the statement read.

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement