Connect with us

Inside Nigeria

Why Service Chiefs Won’t Be Sacked Now — Presidency

Published

on

The President is not ready to fire the Service Chiefs, the Presidency said on Sunday night.

It was learnt that security reports before the President, indicate that “Nigeria is in a war situation”, as a result of which the President is weighing the options before him.

A cross section of ethnic-based groups and others have been mounting pressure on the President to replace the service chiefs to give new impetus to the battle against insurgency.

The renewed spate of killings by bandits in the North and the resurgence of Boko haram attacks have also fueled the agitation for the removal of the service chiefs.

There is a plan to organise a protest on Monday against the service chiefs which the government said is sponsored.

Many people have argued that the service chiefs’ continued stay in office beyond four years, has led to low morale in the military.

But presidential spokesman Garba Shehu said on Sunday that: “Removal or sack of service chiefs does not stop all of what we are experiencing. Whether we like it or not, we are in a war situation. The President and the Commander-In-Chief is seeing things that others cannot see. This is why he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

“How can they say the President does not care? His heart is there on how to secure and protect this nation. He is being briefed adequately by the service chiefs and others and he gives directives as the C-In-C.

“It is people who don’t know what the government is doing that are saying the President does not care. They think security is like a market place where everybody is an expert.”

Regarding the clamour for new ideas and strategy, Shehu added: “The strategy is always constantly being reviewed. Nothing is fixed.

“The President is a military man; he has been working very hard with others on multiple solutions to the challenges at hand.

It was learnt that more military hardware and personnel will be deployed in the frontline.

About 3,000 soldiers will be commissioned in March or April for the battle against insurgents.

The Air Force has already inaugurated over 2,000 new air men.

For new equipment, Shehu said: “About 1,000 military hardware bought with military budget and special funds from the Presidency are on the high seas to strengthen the war against insurgency and banditry.”

The Federal Government is hopeful of taking delivery of 12 A-29 Super Tucano fighter jets from the United States.

The contract was awarded to Sierra Nevada Corporation, an American aerospace contractor.

Shehu said: “While the military arsenal is not something you pay for and get, requiring mostly long-time orders, weapons will come in accordance with the terms of contracts.

“This country is expecting the commencement of the delivery of Super Tucano fighter jets, very effective in this kind of warfare, beginning next year from the United States.’’

Shehu explained the security problems are not peculiar to Nigeria as many African countries are under threat.

He said the security challenges were given serious attention at last week’s African Union (AU) meeting in Addis Ababa.

“So much is happening but there is a regional nature of the challenges. At the last AU meeting, there were fears being expressed that terrorists might take over some African states.

“Some people can say that some of these countries are far from us, the truth is that the Sahel Region has a problem.

“The insurgents are carrying out attacks and raids in some countries like Nigeria which they consider lucrative because they abduct or kidnap and collect ransom and they raid to loot.”

“The new AU chairman, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has promised two Special Summits of the organization this year bordering on security and African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Inside Nigeria

BREAKING: Nigeria Records 10 New Cases Of Coronavirus, Total Now 224

Published

on

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control(NCDC) on Sunday confirmed 10 new cases of coronavirus.

Six cases were confirmed in Lagos, two cases confirmed in the FCT, two in Edo.

Two new deaths have been recorded in Lagos and Edo State with 27 patients discharged.

As at 11:15 am 5th April there are 224 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria.

Twenty-seven have been discharged with five deaths.

Continue Reading

Inside Nigeria

Three Nigerians Die Of Coronavirus In US

Published

on

The Consul General of Nigeria in New York, Mr Benaoyagha Okoyen, has confirmed the death of three Nigerians from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the United States.

Okoyen made the announcement in a statement in New York on Saturday evening.

He said one of them, a doctor from Abia, contracted the virus while on duty in New York, the epicentre of the pandemic in the U.S.

The envoy identified the second person as 25-year-old Bassey Offiong, a final year Chemical Engineering student of Western Michigan University whose case has been reported by the Nigerian media.

Okoyen said: “It is regrettable to announce that three Nigerians have died of COVID-19 in the United States of America.

“The first case was a 60-year-old lady, Hajia Laila Abubakar Ali of Kano descent, who died on March 25, while receiving treatment at the Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx, New York.

“Secondly, 25-year-old Bassey Offiong from Calabar, a final year Chemical Engineering student of Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, died on Saturday, March 28, at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak.

“Unfortunately, the last case was a medical practitioner, Dr Caleb Anya, from Ohafia in Abia State.

“He died while rendering service to humanity on the forefront of the battle against the COVID-19 pandemic in New York on April 1.

“On behalf of the Consulate General of Nigeria in New York, I wish to extend our condolences to the families of the deceased Nigerians in this tragic circumstance.’’

The consul general saluted the sacrifice of medical personnel and other essential workers risking their lives on the frontline to save others.

“We are particularly very proud of Nigerian medical professionals in the USA who form part of the incredible workforce in the service of humanity at this time,’’ he added.

NAN

Continue Reading

Inside Nigeria

BREAKING: Nigeria Records Five New COVID-19 Cases, Total Now 214

Published

on

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has reported five new cases of coronavirus in the country, taking the total number of infections to 214.

According to NCDC, “Five new cases of #COVID19 have been reported in Nigeria: three in Bauchi and two in the FCT, Abuja.

As at 10:10 pm 4th April there are 214 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria. Twenty-five have been discharged with two deaths”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

HOTTEST TOPICS