Connect with us

News

Buhari’s Daughter, Hanan Denies Reporting SIM Card Issue To DSS

Published

on

The daughter of the President, Hanan Buhari has denied ever reporting the issue of her SIM card to the Department of State Services, DSS.

Recall that DSS had earlier detained a trader, Anthony Okolie, for 10 weeks for using a telephone line that was earlier used by Hanan.

There had been allegations that the DSS had acted in that wise in response to a complaint filed by the Presidents daughter.

However, Hanan has come out to reveal that although she had received complaints from relatives that someone was using her old line to solicit money, she never reported the matter to the DSS.

The President’s daughter said this in a counter-affidavit to the originating motion filed by Okolie.

Okolie had sued the DSS, Hanan and company, MTN for his 10-week ordeal in the security services’ detention.

The affidavit read in part, “I was informed by the 2nd respondent (Hanan) in our office on February 15, 2020, around 4pm… that she never made any complaint against any Mr. Anthony Okolie to any officer in State Security Service or any other law enforcement agency.

“That she was not privileged to even know anybody with the name Anthony Okolie and has never reported him or any other person to any law enforcement agency in Nigeria or any other country throughout her life.

“That although she was not happy with the public complaint that someone had been using her old SIM card to solicit for financial assistance using her name, she never complained to any authority and she was not aware that the person’s name was Anthony Okolie until the media published it.”

Hanan noted that she didn’t have the power to give the DSS orders to detain anyone.

News

COVID-19: UBA Donates N28.5m To Anambra

Published

on

The United Bank for Africa (UBA) has donated N28.5 million to the Anambra State government in support of the fight against the spread of coronavirus pandemic in the state.

Secretary to Anambra State Government, Prof. Solo Chukwulobelu received the cheque on behalf of the state government in Awka.

The SSG, who is the secretary of the Anambra State Action Committee on COVID-19 pandemic, while thanking the bank for the donation, called for more support from well-meaning people in Anambra State and other organisations towards the ongoing fight against the spread of the pandemic.

According to Chukwulobelu, all COVID-19 donations should be routed through the office of the SSG for proper documentation.

The regional manager of the bank, Mr. Casmir Molokwu presented the cheque on behalf of the Chairman of the bank, Mr. Tony Elumelu.

Meanwhile, the Anambra State Government is operating two accounts on the Coronavirus project.

Continue Reading

News

COVID-19: Wike Suspends Obio/Akpor LG Chairman, Solomon Eke

Published

on

The Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, has suspended the Chairman of Obio-Akpor Local Government Area, Solomon Eke and his deputy for failing to implement his directives to curb the spread of the Coronavirus pandemic in the council.

The governor in a statement signed by his Special Assitant on Electronic Media, Simeon Nwakaudu, also imposed dusk to dawn curfew on Obiri-Ikwerre Junction to Choba and from Education Bus Stop to Agip Junction in Port Harcourt.

Wike in a broadcast in Port Harcourt said that the State Security Council reached the decision after it monitored compliance with the government’s directives against COVID-19.

The governor further granted waivers to different categories of persons following the closure of borders and other directives.

He said the restrictive orders would not affect Medical and Pharmaceutical Personnel, Food and Beverages, Essential Oil and Gas Staff, Petroleum Products and Media Workers and Newspaper Distributors.

He said: “All these categories of staff must identify themselves with valid identity cards. “With effect from Tuesday March 31, 2020 there will be a dusk to dawn curfew from Obiri-Ikwerre Junction( Ozuoba, Rumualogu) to Choba and from Education Bus Stop to Agip Junction, Ikwerre Road .

”All beer parlours and public drinking joints are hereby closed because they have suddenly become an extension of night clubs that were earlier shut down. Any beer parlour or public drinking joint found to be open shall be acquired by the State Government.

“All landlords are advised to warn their tenants who use their property as beer parlours or public drinking joints to adhere to this directive. Traditional rulers, youth Leaders and Community Development Committees are to ensure that beer parlours and public drinking joints in their areas remain closed.

“Any Traditional Ruler who allows markets to be open in his domain will be deposed.

Government is investigating the illegal operation of markets at night at Woji and Elelenwo Communities. Further violation by residents of these two communities will attract declaration of curfew.”

Wike said further violation of the directive for markets to remain closed would attract a state-wide curfew.

He said: “Let me reiterate that this government will continue to do what is right no matter who is involved. As you are all aware, no conventional war has grounded global life and economy like coronavirus has done.

“Everybody is affected. Therefore, all hands must be on deck to defeat coronavirus. I want to sincerely express my heartfelt gratitude to our health professionals on the frontline of this fight. Let me also thank all the security agencies, individuals and organisations who are collaborating with us to make Rivers State safe.

“I am confident that with our collective resolve our dear state will contain the spread of this virus. My Dear Good People of Rivers State based on suggestions by well-meaning Rivers people, government is looking into the setting up of food markets across the State.”

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: FG Suspends Reconstruction Of Enugu International Airport

Published

on

Enugu Aiport

The Federal Government, on Tuesday, announced the suspension of the ongoing reconstruction work at the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu.

The Minister of Aviation, Senator Hadi Sirika disclosed this after an inspection tour of the project.

He arrived the airport aboard a police chopper, with only few officials.

Sirika said the project, which had gone beyond 90 percent, would have been delivered before Easter.

“But considering that the construction workers have downed tools owing to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Federal Government hereby officially announce suspension of procurement.

“The work would have been completed in 6-7 days, but the workers left to be with their families in view of the social distancing,” the minister declared.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

HOTTEST TOPICS