Connect with us

News

I’m A Miracle Governor — Diri

Published

on

Bayelsa Governor, Senator Douye Diri, has dubbed himself a miracle governor.

“I christen myself a miracle governor,” he told reporters in Abuja.

“I christen myself a miracle governor. At a point everybody gave up. We were the only party (PDP) the APC could not approach. We filed in court. The only place we had hope was in the judiciary.

“The case between APC and APC was thrown out. The APC applauded the Supreme Court and on Thursday February 13, 2020 the hammer came,” Diri said.

He added: “We were in the wilderness and a torturous journey but here we are a miracle governor. They attempted to use the so-called federal might to impose somebody on Bayelsa.

“There were those who said there will be no governor in Bayelsa State. To the glory of God Bayelsa State has a governor. I am indeed a miracle governor.”

Diri was sworn in as Bayelsa State Governor on February 14, 2020 following the Supreme Court’s disqualification of the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, David Lyon and his deputy, Senator Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo, over alleged discrepancies in Degi-Eremienyo name.

On his agenda for the state, Diri said that he was part and parcel of the immediate past government in the state and did not need to be told where to start.

He noted however that principally, his administration would focus and re-energise the economy of the state to make it more vibrant.

He said that they would work to refocus Bayelsans from being civil servants alone.

Diri who assured that they knew where they were going said that education would also be top priority of his administration.

On the Supreme Court ruling that disqualified the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate David Lyon and his deputy Senator Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo, he said that PDP did not take forgery case to court.

Diri said: “What we took to court was a case of false information. The onus was on him to prove how and why he had the multiple names. We did not institute a case of forgery. It was a case of false information.”

On his deputy, Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpor, alleged to have falsified his National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) certificate, Diri claimed that there was no case.

The governor noted that NYSC misspelt the name of his deputy in the certificate issued him.

Ewhrudjakpor, he said, wrote NYSC to complain that the certificate issued to him was not his because his name was wrongly written.

He added that even the case Ewhrudjakpor instituted before they were inaugurated was dead on arrival “because he now enjoys immunity.”

Diri said that even before he was inaugurated, his message had been “reconciliation, reconciliation, reconciliation because we are all Bayelsans.”

On violence and destruction of property in the state after the Supreme Court ruling, he said that people in the state should appreciate the fact that “violence is an ill wind that blows nobody any good.”

He said: “Nobody has monopoly of violence. We will not be pushed to that. We have started with reconciliation. The Ijaw people are happy with the court judgement.

“Bayelsa is peaceful contrary to the false impression some are creating. In spite of provocation, Bayelsa is peaceful. The 120,000 votes APC claimed to have got from Southern Ijaw was not more than 30,000 to 35,000.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

CAC Deregisters Splinter Ohanaeze

Published

on

Ohanaeze - Igbo

The Corporate Affairs Commission, CAC, has allegedly withdrawn the registration of the splinter group of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, saying it has not fulfilled all the requirements for registration.

The traditional ruler of Igbariam in Anambra East local government area of Anambra State, Igwe Nkeli Nzekwe had made waves over the weekend after inaugurating a splinter group of Ohanaeze, making Basil Onyeachonam as the president general of Ohanaeze Worldwide, with himself as the chairman of Board of Trustees, BoT, adding that all those holding offices in Ohanaeze before the inauguration had ceased to function in those offices.

President General of the splinter group, Onyeachonam said the group’s major assignment is to ensure that the president of Nigeria in 2023 should come from Igbo land and warned that the Igbo might resort to self-help in handling insecurity in the area due to the activities of killer herdsmen.

He said: “I make bold to say that come 2023, an Igbo man will be elected as the president of Nigeria. The unity of Ndigbo is paramount and sacrosanct in actualizing Igbo presidency in 2023.

“We are confronted with routes leading to diverse goals, but as we see it, there is only one road that we can safely recommend for us to tread and it is the unity of Nigeria and Igbo presidency in 2023.

“We need peace and security in Igboland and Nigeria at large; we need development, empowerment of Ndigbo in strategic government positions, we need equitable distribution of national resources and national development projects in Igboland.

“We want the Federal Government of Nigeria to equitably address the genuine agitations of our people.

“The president must sit up to the current security challenges in Igboland, to dissuade our people from inevitable self-help”

However, confusion trailed yesterday the alleged withdrawal of the registration granted the group by the Corporate Affairs Commission, CAC.

A statement by the commission, which is circulating in the social media read: “This is to inform the general public that the certificate of registration No. IT 1444918 issued inadvertently to the Trustees of OHANEZE NDIGBO GENERAL ASSEMBLY has been withdrawn by the Corporate Affairs Commission.

“The Trustees of the Association have been advised to return the said certificate to the commission as same has been cancelled. The conditions for the issuance of the certificate have not been fully fulfilled.”

However, the chairman of the splinter group of Ohanaeze Ndigbo General Assembly, Mr. Basil Onyeachonam is still talking tough against the leadership of Chief Nnia Nwodo –led apex Igbo socio –cultural organization, telling the federal government to address genuine agitations of Ndi Igbo.

Reacting to the deregisteration of the splinter group, Deputy Publicly Secretary of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Mr Chuks Ibegbu said the main stream Ohanaeze Ndigbo led by Chief John Nnia Nwodo was in support of the move by the Corporate Affairs Commission, CAC, to withdraw the certificate of incorporation erroneously issued to the individuals.

According to Ibegbu, the certificate should be withdrawn because it was illegally registered and should be probed.

He said: “There are due process to register such an organisation and it was not followed. The circumstance that led to the registration should be probed. Something must have gone wrong in CAC. I think that the enemies of Ndigbo are at work.

“These chaps are enemies of Ndigbo and desperadoes. They should be arrested for impersonation.

“Ohanaeze leadership under Nwodo is intact. There is no crack whatsoever. Enemies of Ndigbo are behind this and we shall soon unmask them.

“Can this kind of thing happen in the North or West? I doubt it. We must punish Igbo black legs and sell outs. We cannot tolerate this treachery any further.”

But in a counter reaction, the splinter group of Ohanaeze Ndigbo has urged members of the public and Ndigbo to disregard reports that its registration certificate had been withdrawn by the Corporate Affairs Commission, CAC.

Dismissing the reports as fake news, Publicity Secretary of the new group, Sir Chimzobam Nnalue, said the letter was not from the CAC, adding that the group is intact at CAC’s portal.

He said in a statement: ”The general public is hereby informed to disregard the fake news being circulated on facebook by some paid agents claiming that our CAC certificate has been withdrawn. The letter is not from the CAC The newly registered Ohanaeze Ndigbo led by Barr Onyeachonam is intact at the CAC portal.”

Continue Reading

News

Buhari, Hushpuppi Are In The Same Business Of Defrauding People — Aisha Yesufu

Published

on

Aisha Yusufu, co-convener of the BringBackOurGirls campaign group, in her latest attack on President Muhammadu Buhari said the Nigerian leader does the same work with Nigerian Instagram celebrity and alleged internet fraudster, Raymond Abbas, also known as Hushpuppi.

Aisha stated that Buhari has not been transparent enough in his administration as many would be made to believe, pointing out that since 2015 he emerged as Nigeria’s President, Buhari has failed to make public his campaign donations and statement of account.

Hushpuppi was recently arrested in Dubai, United Arab Emirate, UAE on June 10 over alleged fraudulent charges, and was said to have defrauded 1,926,400 people.

On her official Twitter handle, Aisha wrote, “Muhammadu Buhari @MBuhari and Hushpuppi are in the same business.

“They both defrauded millions of their money! Where is the 2015 Buhari campaign donations, statement of account?

“While Hushpuppi defrauded financially, Buhari defrauded both financially and politically.”

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Gov. Okowa, Wife Test Positive For Coronavirus

Published

on

Governor Ifeanyi Okowa and his wife, Edith Okowa, have both tested positive for COVID-19.

The Governor made the disclosure on his Facebook page on Wednesday morning.

He said: “My wife and I have tested positive for COVID-19. We are well and continuing with our isolation/medication. We thank you all for your continued prayers for us and our daughter.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

HOTTEST TOPICS