Connect with us

News

BREAKING: Court Strikes Out Charges Of Non-Declaration Of Assets Against Ekweremadu

Published

on

Ekweremadu

The Federal High Court in Abuja, on Monday, struck out charges of non-declaration of assets instituted against a former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, by the defunct Special Presidential Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property.

The dissolved panel then led by Mr. Okoi Obono-Obla had in 2018 instituted the case marked FHC/ABJ/CR/62/2018 against Ekweremadu, alleging that, “without reasonable excuse”, the serving senator refused and neglected to declare his assets upon being served the panel’s “notice to declare”.

The AGF office took over the case and other suits being handled by the SPIP upon a presidential directive dissolving the panel in 2019.

On Monday, Justice Binta Nyako struck out the case against Ekweremadu after the prosecuting counsel from the AGF office, Mr Pius Akutah, said the former lawyer handling the case for the panel had disappeared with the case file.

Akutah pleaded with the judge to order the former counsel to release the file to the AGF office but the request was declined by the judge.

But Ekweremadu’s lawyer, Chief Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), urged the judge to strike out the case.

Responding, Justice Nyako dismissed the prosecution’s request.

She said, “You are attorney general (referring to the lawyer as representing the AGF), you should know what to do.

“You should not be waiting for me to make an order against an individual.”

Justice Nyako added, “So, as it is today, you don’t know the case against the defendant since you don’t have the file. I am going to strike out the case, when you are ready you can come back.

“The case is hereby struck out for want of diligent prosecution. The prosecution is allowed to come back whenever they are ready to proceed with the case.”

The PUNCH reports that Ekweremadu was present in court and stood in the dock while the proceedings lasted on Monday.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

2 Nurses, One Doctor Allegedly Test Positive For COVID-19 In Abuja Hospital

Published

on

Two nurses and a doctor have reportedly tested positive for Coronavirus at a government hospital in Abuja.

SaharaReporters reported that a senior medical worker at the hospital who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the infected health workers were part of medical personnel that attended to an infected person brought into the hospital.

“The patient was rushed to the hospital and as our job demands, we have to save life first and that was what we did. The person was attended to and stabilised by the medical team. A test was soon conducted and the result came out positive. The hospital thereafter asked all those who attended to the patient to undergo tests to determine their status and at the end of the day, two doctors and one nurse tested positive for the virus. They are currently in isolation at the Gwagwalada Specialist Hospital.”the source said

The Senior Health worker accused the Federal government of not providing medical workers with quality Personal Protective Equipment among other gears needed to protect themselves as they attend to patients with the infectious disease.

“The unfortunate thing is that the government is not providing us with what to work with. It is sad that our PPE is not up to the world standard and can be penetrated by viruses. Some of us (health workers) have to use our personal funds to purchase gloves as we do not trust the ones government supplied. Nigerians should please remember us in their prayers and the government should provide us with what we really need to work,” the source said.

Continue Reading

News

29 Soldiers Died In Boko Haram Ambush — Army

Published

on

Nigerian Army

29 soldiers died during last week’s ambush of troops at Goniri and Gorgi by Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs), Nigeria Army Operations Media Coordinator, Col. Aminu Iliyasu has said.

The military had earlier told reporters that initial information available indicated that 47 soldiers were killed in the attacks that occurred on March 22 and 23, noting that further verification would be given after stocks must have been taken at the bases of troops attached to Operation LAFIYA DOLE.

Making the clarifications on Friday, Col Iliyasu said the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai sent a delegation led by Chief of Training and Operations (Army), Maj.-Gen. Enobong Udoh to the northeast to ascertain the state of affairs.

Others in the delegation which spent two days in the area, included Chief of Military Intelligence, Maj.-Gen. Samuel Adebayo, Director, Campaign Planning, Maj.-Gen. Christopher Musa and Deputy Director, Peacekeeping Operations, Colonel Samaila Uba.

Iliyasu also said a visit to 7 Division Medical Services and Hospital in Maimalari Cantonment by the delegation revealed there were 61 injured personnel including seven officers being treated in the hospital.

He said the 61 wounded comprised those from previous encounters as well as personnel who sustained injuries in the ambush.

Iliyasu said: “On arrival at Maiduguri at about 6pm on March 24, the COAS proceeded straight to the Headquarters, Theatre Command, Operation LAFIYA DOLE, where he was briefed on the said encounter by the Theatre Commander, Maj.-Gen. Olusegun Adeniyi. The Theatre Commander explained that, on March 22, having captured and cleared Gorgi of the Boko Haram insurgents, he led the troops to harbour about five kilometers ahead of the location.

“However, at about 7am on March 22, when the troops were preparing to continue with their advance to clear other Boko Haram enclaves in the area, the insurgents attacked the rear elements of the advance force in an attempt to overrun them.

“The gallant troops repelled the attack, inflicting heavy casualty on the terrorists. In the aftermath of that encounter, no less than 150 Boko Haram terrorists were neutralised by the gallant troops while a large number of them retreated with gunshot wounds. Many of their equipment were also destroyed.

“However, 29 personnel of Operation LAFIYA DOLE paid the supreme price during the encounter as a result of the multiple explosions that occurred when the engine of an army truck conveying artillery bombs, explosives and other munitions caught fire after being hit by a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) bomb fired by the insurgents.

He noted that some soldiers sustained various degrees of injuries and were evacuated to the 7 Division Hospital Maimalari Cantonment where they are responding to treatment.

Iliyasu said the delegation proceeded to Headquarters Sector 2 in Damaturu after a thorough briefing by the Theatre Commander on Wednesday morning, March 25.

He said the COAS addressed the troops that took part in the Gorgi operations, adding that they were in high spirits following their resounding victory over the terrorists during the encounter.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Vehicle Carrying Explosives Caused Akure Blast, Says Akeredolu

Published

on

Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, has said a vehicle moving improvised explosive devices to a nearby state caused the explosion that rocked Akure, the state capital.

The explosion which occurred in the early hours of Saturday split the Akure Owo Road into two, reportedly destroying over 100 buildings.

Akeredolu, who inspected the scene of the explosion on Saturday, said he was briefed by security chiefs.

He explained that the vehicle was in a convoy heading to a storage facility in a neighbouring state when it broke down along the Akure Owo Road, some 2km to the Akure Airport.

The governorsaid the explosion, which destroyed over 50 buildings, happened in the process of fixing the vehicle.

He said, “I have been briefed by the security chiefs that in the early hours of Saturday, March 28th, a vehicle in a convoy transporting explosives to a storage facility in a neighbouring state developed a fault while in transit along the Akure Owo Road about 2km from the Akure Airport.”

He warned the people of the state to stay away from the spot where the vehicle exploded, advising them to maintain a respectable distance to avert another disaster should another explosion recur.

He said security operatives have cordoned off the area.

“Do not also forget that coronavirus is in the country. I thank God that there has not been any recorded case in Ondo State,” he added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement