Connect with us

World

Wuhan Eases COVID-19 Restriction, Workers Resume Work

Published

on

People in Central China where the coronavirus was first detected are allowed to go back to work and public transport is restarting, as some normality slowly returns after a two-month lockdown.

The easing of restrictions in Wuhan city comes as Chinese health officials reported Monday no new local cases of the deadly virus but confirmed another 39 infections brought from overseas.

Wuhan residents considered healthy can move around the city and take the bus or metro so long as they show ID, officials said.

They can also go back to work if they have a permit from their employer, and leave the city for other parts of the surrounding Hubei province after being tested for the virus and receiving a health certificate.

The virus, which emerged in a market that sold wild animals in December, sparked a dramatic lockdown of the city on January 23 that was then widened to the rest of the province of nearly 60 million people.

The number of persons infected has slowed dramatically and for five straight days and there have been no new cases in Hubei.

Another nine people died in Wuhan, the National Health Commission said Monday in its latest update.

The easing of restrictions follows Chinese President Xi Jinping’s visit to the city earlier this month — his first since the crisis erupted.

As the rate of infection slows in China, the rest of the world has stepped up measures to try and battle the raging pandemic.

China is anxious about an influx of infections brought in from other countries, with the number of imported cases climbing steadily in recent weeks to pass 350.

Of the 39 new cases reported Monday, 10 were in Shanghai and 10 were in Beijing.

Many cities have brought in tough rules to quarantine new arrivals.

Authorities have said all Beijing-bound international flights will be diverted to other cities where they will be screened for the virus to help make the process more efficient.

Those who get the all-clear will be allowed to continue to Beijing where they will still be sent to quarantine facilities.

There have now been over 81,000 cases in China, and the death toll has reached 3,270.

AFP

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Over 300 Die And 1000 Fall Ill In Iran, After Consuming Methanol Thinking It Was Protection Against COVID-19

Published

on

More than 300 people have reportedly died in Iran with a further 1,000 getting sick after consuming methanol thinking it will protect them against the coronavirus disease.

Due to reports on the effectiveness of hand sanitizer in combating coronavirus, social media posts across Iran have been awash recently with theories that industrial alcohol such as methanol could cure and prevent coronavirus.

According to Fox News, after some social media posts claimed that a British school teacher and others cured themselves of the coronavirus with whisky and honey, bootleggers started packaging industrial alcohol to Iranians, with the misconception that it prevents coronavirus, since the consumption of alcohol is banned in the Islamic country.

“Other countries have only one problem, which is the new coronavirus pandemic,” said Dr. Hossein Hassanian, an adviser to Iran’s Health Ministry

“We have to both cure the people with the alcohol poisoning and also fight the coronavirus.”

“Unfortunately in some provinces, including Khuzestan and Fars, deaths from drinking methanol has exceeded the number of deaths by the new coronavirus,” Hassanian said.

Iran has reported over 29,000 confirmed cases and more than 2,200 deaths from the virus,but the World Health Organization and some International experts, fear Iran may be under-reporting its cases.

Continue Reading

Top Story

51 Italian Doctors Who Tested Positive For COVID-19 Have All Died From The Disease

Published

on

The Italian Association of Doctors have confirmed the death of 51 doctors who all died after testing positive for coronavirus.

The doctors succumbed to the disease as of Friday, according to CNN, citing the Italian Association of Doctors.

The death toll comes after Filippo Anelli, the president of the association, on Thursday called for doctors in the country to be provided with more personal protective equipment (PPE).

“The first thing to do is to protect healthcare workers, to make sure they are not the ones spreading the virus. Our doctors have been sent to war unarmed,” Anelli told The Financial Times in a Thursday article. “The dead do not make a noise. Yet, the names of our dead friends, our colleagues, put here in black and white, make a deafening noise.”

According to the Italian National Institute of Health, more than 6,000 health workers have been infected by coronavirus as of Thursday,

Italy has the highest COVID-19 death toll of any country in the world, Out of over 86,000 cases of coronavirus in the country as of Friday, there were over 9,100 deaths.

Continue Reading

Top Story

COVID-19: Americans To Get N441,000 Each As Trump Signs Historic $2.2 TRILLION Financial Stimulus Bill

Published

on

Donald Trump

President Donald Trump on Friday signed the $2.2 trillion (N827 trillion) financial stimulus package to cushion the economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic in the United States.

This came hours after the country’s House of Representatives approved the bipartisan bill, which the Senate passed on Wednesday.

U.S. is currently the hardest-hit country in terms of the COVID-19 infections, accounting for no fewer than 99,000 cases.

Under the law, the government will make direct payments totaling $290 billion (N109 trillion) to Americans earning below $99,000 (N37 million) per annum.

They are expected to get directly get up to $1,200 (N451,000) each, in addition to $500 (N188,000) per child.

On Wednesday, a record 3.3 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits amid massive job losses occasioned by the pandemic.

The package includes the payment of another $260 billion (N97 trillion) to jobless and laid-off workers for up to four months.

Small businesses with less than 500 employees and airlines will get a total of $881 billion (N331 trillion) as soft loans to cushion the economic effect of the virus.

In brief remarks, after the signing at the White House in Washington, Trump thanked “Democrats and Republicans for coming together and putting America first”.

He said the package would pave way for economic recovery in the U.S., adding that the country would have “a tremendous rebound’’.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement