Connect with us

News

29 Soldiers Died In Boko Haram Ambush — Army

Published

on

Nigerian Army

29 soldiers died during last week’s ambush of troops at Goniri and Gorgi by Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs), Nigeria Army Operations Media Coordinator, Col. Aminu Iliyasu has said.

The military had earlier told reporters that initial information available indicated that 47 soldiers were killed in the attacks that occurred on March 22 and 23, noting that further verification would be given after stocks must have been taken at the bases of troops attached to Operation LAFIYA DOLE.

Making the clarifications on Friday, Col Iliyasu said the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai sent a delegation led by Chief of Training and Operations (Army), Maj.-Gen. Enobong Udoh to the northeast to ascertain the state of affairs.

Others in the delegation which spent two days in the area, included Chief of Military Intelligence, Maj.-Gen. Samuel Adebayo, Director, Campaign Planning, Maj.-Gen. Christopher Musa and Deputy Director, Peacekeeping Operations, Colonel Samaila Uba.

Iliyasu also said a visit to 7 Division Medical Services and Hospital in Maimalari Cantonment by the delegation revealed there were 61 injured personnel including seven officers being treated in the hospital.

He said the 61 wounded comprised those from previous encounters as well as personnel who sustained injuries in the ambush.

Iliyasu said: “On arrival at Maiduguri at about 6pm on March 24, the COAS proceeded straight to the Headquarters, Theatre Command, Operation LAFIYA DOLE, where he was briefed on the said encounter by the Theatre Commander, Maj.-Gen. Olusegun Adeniyi. The Theatre Commander explained that, on March 22, having captured and cleared Gorgi of the Boko Haram insurgents, he led the troops to harbour about five kilometers ahead of the location.

“However, at about 7am on March 22, when the troops were preparing to continue with their advance to clear other Boko Haram enclaves in the area, the insurgents attacked the rear elements of the advance force in an attempt to overrun them.

“The gallant troops repelled the attack, inflicting heavy casualty on the terrorists. In the aftermath of that encounter, no less than 150 Boko Haram terrorists were neutralised by the gallant troops while a large number of them retreated with gunshot wounds. Many of their equipment were also destroyed.

“However, 29 personnel of Operation LAFIYA DOLE paid the supreme price during the encounter as a result of the multiple explosions that occurred when the engine of an army truck conveying artillery bombs, explosives and other munitions caught fire after being hit by a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) bomb fired by the insurgents.

He noted that some soldiers sustained various degrees of injuries and were evacuated to the 7 Division Hospital Maimalari Cantonment where they are responding to treatment.

Iliyasu said the delegation proceeded to Headquarters Sector 2 in Damaturu after a thorough briefing by the Theatre Commander on Wednesday morning, March 25.

He said the COAS addressed the troops that took part in the Gorgi operations, adding that they were in high spirits following their resounding victory over the terrorists during the encounter.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

BREAKING: Senator Muse Dies

Published

on

A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Lagos state, Munir Adekunle Muse, is dead.

Muse was a former lawmaker who represented Lagos Central Senatorial District in the Senate between 2007 and 2011.

His death was announced by his son, Sulaimon Muse, on Tuesday.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers Govt Begins Decontamination Exercise

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has kick started the decontamination of public places as part of measures to keep the state safe from coronavirus.

Governor Nyesom Ezenwo Wike who flagged off the programme today at Government House, Port Harcourt, said with the commencement of the exercise, all public places in the state will be decontaminated.

He restated his administration’s commitment to the protection of the lives of everyone living and doing business in the state.

“I have always said that the lives of Rivers people and those living and doing business in the state is paramount. Part of the reason why markets are still shut is because we have not decontaminated them.

“As we decontaminate the markets, particularly the ones in Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt Local Government Area, traders will undertake to abide by all relevant protocols because we are talking about the lives of people.

“All public and private schools will be decontaminated before schools open. Churches and motor parks will also be decontaminated,” he stated.

The Governor reiterated that coronavirus is real and that people who denied its existence have started believing due to the number of persons that had died.

 

He warned that government will not allow recalcitrant persons who refuse to obey government advisories to infect law abiding citizens with the virus.

“This issue of COVID- 19 is real and government will not hesitate to seal up and prosecute owners of banks, shopping malls, restaurants, shops, business places or offices that fail to enforce social distancing and the wearing of face masks in their premises,” he said.

He urged the Decontamination Team not to compromise standards but to put in their best to ensure that the entire state is decontaminated.

In his speech, the Sole Administrator of the Rivers State Waste Management Agency, Bro. Felix Obuah said the Decontamination Team made up of medical and environmental experts was put in place in line with the governor’s directives to decontaminate public places in the state.

The Leader of the Decontamination Team, Dr. Ian Abraham Gobo pledged that the team will carry out the exercise with utmost dedication.

He commended the Governor for putting Rivers people first in his fight against COVID-19,adding that the decontamination of the state will give the people a new lease of live when normal business activities resume.

Continue Reading

Metro

Nigeria Customs Service Boss, Hameed Ali Marries A New Wife [PHOTOS]

Published

on

Colonel Hameed Ali (retd), the Comptroller General of the Nigeria Customs Service on Saturday May 30, married a new wife.

The NCS comptroller who served as the military administrator of Kaduna State from 1996 to 1998, took a new wife nearly two years after his first wife Hajiya Hadiza Jummai Ali died in Abuja on October 29, 2018.

The low-key wedding ceremony took place in Kano State and here are photos below;

Continue Reading
Advertisement

HOTTEST TOPICS