Connect with us

News

[BREAKING] COVID-19: Gov Ganduje Extends Stay At Home Order For 2 Weeks

Published

on

Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje has extended the stay at home order issued to civil servants in the state to allow his intervention measures against the dreaded Coronavirus to take full effect.

The Governor said more time was needed to actively cover the entire State with government interventions.

Ganduje issued an additional two weeks stay at home for the civil servants on Monday while receiving a report of the COVID-19 Fundraising Committee at Government house.

The Governor stressed that extension of the stay at home directive became imperatives following the increasing number of cases of COVID- 19 recorded in the country.

Although Kano state has not recorded any case so far, the governor said the border closure and partial lockdown of social activities would remain to keep the state safe.

Meanwhile, the fundraising committee on COVID- 19 has identified 300,000 households for distribution of food items and cash as palliative measures against the coronavirus.

Presenting the preliminary report of his committee, Chairman Professor Mohammad Yahuza Bello said the committee has mapped out the 300, 000 households across the 484 political wards.

Earlier, Professor Bello said the committee had received a total sum of N354, 695, 780.50k cash donation.

News

Fayemi Declares NO MERCY For Rapists In Ekiti

Published

on

Governor Kayode Fayemi says no person convicted for a sex offence, such as rape, in any part of the state would enjoy his powers of prerogative of mercy any more.

Fayemi stated this while signing into law the Sexual Violence Against Children (Compulsory treatment and care for child victims of sexual violence), recently passed by the state House of Assembly.

The governor lamented the rate at which women and the girl child are being violated in the country describing it as act of extreme violence that must be addressed urgently before it gets out of hand.

In the drive to combat the scourge nationally, Fayemi calls for a state of emergency to deal more effectively with the menace.

He directed the State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Wale Fapohunda, to henceforth oppose bail or plea bargaining for rape offenders in the state.

He explained further that his administration had established a Register of Sex Offenders of all persons convicted of acts of sexual violence and adopted a policy of publicly naming and shaming convicted sex offenders as well as putting machinery in motion to strengthen the Gender-Based Violence Management Committee to oversee the implementation of the GBV Law.

He said, “In many respects, however, it is now obvious that we need to do more to confront the severity of the challenges we face. Our response must be efficient and proactive to end a culture of impunity and foster a culture of justice and deterrent. It is against this background that I now wish to enumerate some of the additional measures we will be taking.

“First, by virtue of the Compulsory Treatment and Care for Child Victims of Sexual Violence Law, 2020’ a child victim of sexual violence in this State will have rapid access to a medical facility that can administer emergency medical care, including treatment to prevent HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases and counseling.

“We are going to overhaul and modernise our register of sex offenders to ensure it is effective in combating sexual violence. I have directed the Ministry of Justice to consider additional measures to make the register permanently accessible to the public.

“The Ministry of Justice is further directed to reaffirm state policy of opposing bail and rejecting plea bargain proposals from perpetrators of rape and child defilement. The State Government’s policy of ensuring that convicted sex offenders do not benefit from my power of prerogative of mercy remain in force.”

Continue Reading

News

AfDB Approves Independent Probe Of Adesina

Published

on

Akinwumi Adesina

The Boards of Governors of the African Development Bank (AfDB) has finally bowed to US pressure and has ordered an independent probe of President of the bank Akinwumi Adesina.

The board of governors reached the decision on Thursday June 4, in spite of sitting and former African leaders’ campaign for the bank to ignore the call for an independent investigation of allegations against Adesina as he has already been cleared by the bank’s ethics committee.

In a communique signed by the Chairperson of the bank’s Bureau of the Boards of Governors Niale Kaba, it was gathered that the independent review will be carried out by a neutral high calibre individuals with unquestionable experience, high international reputation and integrity within a short time period of not more than two to four weeks maximum.

The board also admitted that the ethics committee performed its role on the matter in accordance with the applicable role under resolution B/BG/2008/11.

It reads: “The Bureau reiterates that it agrees that the Ethics Committee of the Boards of Directors performed its role on this matter in accordance with the applicable rule under Resolution B/BG/2008/11 of the Board of Governors.

“The Bureau also reiterates that the Chairperson of the Bureau of the Board ofGovernors performed her role in accepting the findings of the Ethics Committee in accordance with the said Resolution.

“However, based on the views of some Governors on the matter and the need to carry every Governor along in resolving it, the Bureau agrees to authorize an Independent Review of the Report of the Ethics Committee of the Boards of Directors relative to the allegations considered by the Ethics Committee and the submissions made by the President of the Bank Group thereto in the interest of due process.

“The Independent Review shall be conducted by a neutral high calibre individual with unquestionable experience, high international reputation and integrity within a short time period of not more than two to four weeks maximum, taking the Bank Group’s electoral calendar into account.

“The Bureau agrees that, within a three to six month period and following the independent review of the Ethics Committee Report, an independent comprehensive review of the implementation of the Bank Group’s Whistle-Blowing and Complaints Handling Policy should be conducted with a view to ensuring that the Policy is properly implemented, and revising it where necessary, to avoid situations of this nature in the future.”

Continue Reading

News

Reps Reject Castration As Punishment For Rapists

Published

on

The House of Representatives has rejected the recommendation for castration of rapists.

The Nation reports that the reps voted against a prayer seeking to recommend castration for rapists at the plenary on Thursday, considered and adopted a motion on the rising cases of sexual violence in Nigeria.

A member of the house, Mr James Faleke, had recommended that persons found guilty of rape should be castrated.

The Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, however, asked what would happen to an older female who rapes a younger male, just before the prayer was subjected to a voice vote.

The House of Representative put the prayer to vote and it was rejected by the majority.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

HOTTEST TOPICS