Connect with us

Top Story

Rwanda’s Most-Wanted Genocide Suspect, Felicien Kabuga, 84, Arrested In France After 25 Years

Published

on

Rwanda’s most-wanted genocide suspect has been arrested in France.

Felicien Kabuga, 84, who was living under a false identity in a flat in Asnieres-Sur-Seine, near Paris, had been pursued by international justice for 25 years, the French Justice Ministry said in a statement on Saturday morning.

French gendarmes arrested him at 0530 GMT on Saturday, the ministry said.

The United States had placed a $5 million bounty on his head over crimes allegedly committed during the 1994 genocide.

The businessman is accused of funding the militias that massacred some 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus over a span of 100 days in 1994.

His son-in-law was arrested in Germany in 2007.

Serge Brammertz, chief prosecutor of the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals in The Hague, welcomed the arrest.

“The arrest of Felicien Kabuga today is a reminder that those responsible for genocide can be brought to account, even 26 years after their crimes,” he said.

“For international justice, Kabuga’s arrest demonstrates that we can succeed when we have the international community’s support. This result is a tribute to the unwavering commitment of the United Nations Security Council, which established the Mechanism to continue the accountability process in Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia,” Brammertz added.

Kabuga was indicted by the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda in 1997 on seven counts of genocide, complicity in genocide, direct and public incitement to commit genocide, attempt to commit genocide, conspiracy to commit genocide, persecution, and extermination, all in relation to crimes committed during the 1994 genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda.

Kabuga is expected to stand trial in front of the Paris Appeal Court and later to the International Court in The Hague.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Outrage As 75 Police Officers Are Seen Guarding Home Of Minneapolis Officer Involved In The Death Of George Floyd [VIDEO]

Published

on

75 police officers were seen standing outside the home of Derek Chauvin to defend him following the death of George Floyd.

Floyd, an unarmed Black man, died in Minneapolis on Monday, May 25, after Derek Chauvin knelt on his neck over a long period of time while arresting him.

Floyd’s death caused outrage and the 4 officers involved were fired. However, people are calling for their arrest, especially Derek Chauvin’s arrest.

Protesters have gathered outside Chauvin’s house to express displeasure over the death of Floyd and an angry protester went online to share a video showing all the officers guarding Chauvin’s home.

75 officers stood guard outside the officer’s home, protecting him. This revelation angered people and they reacted on social media.

Watch the video below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Lindaikejiblog (@lindaikejiblogofficial) on

Continue Reading

Top Story

Trump Threatens To “Close Down Social Media” After Twitter Puts Warning On His Tweet

Published

on

donald trump

United States president, Donald Trump has threatened to close down social media platforms, a day after Twitter posted a fact-checking notice on one of his tweets.

Trump’s threat comes a day after Twitter Inc. for the first time added a warning to some of his tweets that prompted readers to fact check the president’s tweet that claimed mail-in ballots could allow widespread voter fraud. It immediately led to a presidential eruption accusing the platform of “completely stifling FREE SPEECH”.

Donald Trump insinuated that social media firms suppressed conservative points of view, then said that his administration would “strongly regulate [the companies] or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen”.

On Wednesday, he tweeted:

“Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen. We saw what they attempted to do, and failed, in 2016. We can’t let a more sophisticated version of that happen again.

“Just like we can’t let large scale Mail-In Ballots take root in our Country. It would be a free for all on cheating, forgery and the theft of Ballots. Whoever cheated the most would win. Likewise, Social Media. Clean up your act, NOW!!!!”

Continue Reading

Top Story

FBI To Probe Death Of Black Man In Minnesota After Arrest

Published

on

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is to investigate the death of a black man in the United State (U.S.) state of Minnesota after a video emerged showing a policeman kneeling on his neck.

In the footage, the man, believed to be in his 40s, is heard groaning and repeatedly saying “I can’t breathe” to the white officer.

The Minneapolis Police Department said it was responding to a reported crime.

The incident echoed that of Eric Garner, a black man who died being arrested in 2014.

Garner was placed in a chokehold and uttering the words “I can’t breathe” nearly a dozen times.

The phrase became a rallying cry for activists protesting alleged police brutality against people of colour in the U.S.

The Minnesota Police admitted that the man in the footage filmed on Monday died after a “medical incident” in a “police interaction”.

He was suspected of committing a forgery, meaning to have been fraudulently altering or making a false reproduction of a product.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey described the incident as “completely and utterly messed up”.

“I believe what I saw and what I saw is wrong on every level,” Frey said. “Being black in America should not be a death sentence.”

It is the latest accusation of U.S. police brutality against African Americans. Recent high-profile cases include an officer in Maryland, who fatally shot a man inside a patrol car.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

HOTTEST TOPICS