Connect with us

Top Story

Ex-President’s Son Commits Suicide

Published

on

A son of Mexico’s former president Luis Echeverria Alvarez, who governed in the 1970s with an iron fist, has killed himself, authorities said Tuesday.

Alvaro Echeverria Zuno, 71, died on Tuesday morning at his home in the state of Morelos, south of Mexico City, the local prosecutor’s office said in a statement.

Former president Echeverria, 98, led the country from 1970-1976 and is considered the main person responsible for Mexico’s “dirty war”, which featured the targeted assassinations and forced disappearance of students, leftist activists, and guerrillas by government agents.

The worst massacres in modern Mexican history took place in October 1968 – 10 days before the opening of the Olympic Games in Mexico City – when ex-president Echeverria was interior minister in the government of Gustavo Diaz Ordaz (1964-1970).

Hundreds of unarmed students and demonstrators – the exact number is still unknown – were slaughtered when soldiers and undercover agents opened fire on protesters at a plaza in the Mexico City neighborhood of Tlatelolco.

In 2006 Echevarria faced genocide charges, but given his age was granted home prison and eventually given conditional freedom.

(AFP)

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Premier League Set To Resume On June 17

Published

on

Premier League football is poised to return after a three-month shutdown, with top-flight games in England provisionally set to resume on Wednesday, June 17.

The resumption of soccer in England follows Germany’s Bundesliga, which began play last week. It adds momentum to a comeback of sports, with several North American leagues also making plans to find a way back to play. Serie A, which has been suspended since March 10 in hard-hit Italy, announced on Thursday that it would also return, on June 20.

The Premier League’s return would come after weeks of uncertainty amid disagreement among teams over the possibilities. Germany’s successful return to action earlier this month, with the league completing two rounds of action without incident, helped build consensus among executives of England’s leading teams who would have faced huge losses should the season be called off.

The agreement still requires final clearance from British authorities.

In recent days, momentum had been building that the league would return to action after similar moves to complete the season without fans in a growing number of leagues across Europe. English teams earlier this week agreed to protocols for the resumption of full contact practice, a necessary step before competing in games again.

The Coronavirus Outbreak
Latest Updates
Maps and Cases
States Reopening
Answers to Your Questions
Newsletter
English Premier League Plans to Resume June 17
The most-watched league in the world will return, pending a signoff from health authorities, but will play in stadiums without fans and with stringent health protocols. Italy’s top league also announced its return.

The Premier League’s return adds momentum to a return of major sports leagues in the pandemic.
The Premier League’s return adds momentum to a return of major sports leagues in the pandemic.Credit…Andy Rain/EPA, via Shutterstock
By Tariq Panja
May 28, 2020

LONDON — The English Premier League, the most-watched sports league in the world, plans to resume play on June 17 after a two-month hiatus caused by the coronavirus pandemic, league officials announced on Thursday.

The resumption of soccer in England follows Germany’s Bundesliga, which began play last week. It adds momentum to a comeback of sports, with several North American leagues also making plans to find a way back to play. Serie A, which has been suspended since March 10 in hard-hit Italy, announced on Thursday that it would also return, on June 20.

The Premier League’s return would come after weeks of uncertainty amid disagreement among teams over the possibilities. Germany’s successful return to action earlier this month, with the league completing two rounds of action without incident, helped build consensus among executives of England’s leading teams who would have faced huge losses should the season be called off.

The agreement still requires final clearance from British authorities.

In recent days, momentum had been building that the league would return to action after similar moves to complete the season without fans in a growing number of leagues across Europe. English teams earlier this week agreed to protocols for the resumption of full contact practice, a necessary step before competing in games again.

The first games on the schedule will be Aston Villa hosting Sheffield United and Arsenal’s visit to Manchester City. Those games were postponed earlier in the season because of a clash in the calendar.

Several setbacks had suggested that the Premier League might not find a solution to completing the season. Some players raised doubts about returning to action during the pandemic, and a number of smaller teams objected to the possibility of having to play the remaining games at neutral sites. Some of the more high-profile games are almost certain to be played at secondary venues to help manage crowds.

Continue Reading

News

Outrage As 75 Police Officers Are Seen Guarding Home Of Minneapolis Officer Involved In The Death Of George Floyd [VIDEO]

Published

on

75 police officers were seen standing outside the home of Derek Chauvin to defend him following the death of George Floyd.

Floyd, an unarmed Black man, died in Minneapolis on Monday, May 25, after Derek Chauvin knelt on his neck over a long period of time while arresting him.

Floyd’s death caused outrage and the 4 officers involved were fired. However, people are calling for their arrest, especially Derek Chauvin’s arrest.

Protesters have gathered outside Chauvin’s house to express displeasure over the death of Floyd and an angry protester went online to share a video showing all the officers guarding Chauvin’s home.

75 officers stood guard outside the officer’s home, protecting him. This revelation angered people and they reacted on social media.

Watch the video below.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Lindaikejiblog (@lindaikejiblogofficial) on

Continue Reading

Top Story

Trump Threatens To “Close Down Social Media” After Twitter Puts Warning On His Tweet

Published

on

donald trump

United States president, Donald Trump has threatened to close down social media platforms, a day after Twitter posted a fact-checking notice on one of his tweets.

Trump’s threat comes a day after Twitter Inc. for the first time added a warning to some of his tweets that prompted readers to fact check the president’s tweet that claimed mail-in ballots could allow widespread voter fraud. It immediately led to a presidential eruption accusing the platform of “completely stifling FREE SPEECH”.

Donald Trump insinuated that social media firms suppressed conservative points of view, then said that his administration would “strongly regulate [the companies] or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen”.

On Wednesday, he tweeted:

“Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen. We saw what they attempted to do, and failed, in 2016. We can’t let a more sophisticated version of that happen again.

“Just like we can’t let large scale Mail-In Ballots take root in our Country. It would be a free for all on cheating, forgery and the theft of Ballots. Whoever cheated the most would win. Likewise, Social Media. Clean up your act, NOW!!!!”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

HOTTEST TOPICS