Former French prime minister, François Fillon and his Welsh wife, Penelope, were sentenced to jail on Monday for embezzling public funds as part of the “fake job” scandal.
A French court found Francois guilty of charges of creating a fake job for his wife, using taxpayer money.
The 66- year-old was accused of creating a position that paid his wife over €1 million ($1.13 million) in public funds, a charge that cost him his 2017 presidential bid. Fillon’s wife, Penelope, was also found guilty of being complicit in the case.
He was additionally accused of getting the millionaire owner of a literary magazine to pay his wife €135,000 for “consulting work.”
Mr. Fillon was sentenced to five years in prison, three of which were suspended, as well as a €375,000 fine. Fillon was also banned from running for elected office for 10 years.
His wife was handed a three year suspended sentence and fined the same amount.
Mrs. Fillon was found guilty of having a “fake” job at a French-language monthly literary, cultural, and political affairs magazine, Revue des Deux Mondes, run by one of her husband’s friends.
The court said Mrs. Fillon, 64, was paid “the maximum possible” and that the sums were “out of proportion to her activities”.
“Nothing could have justified the remuneration she received,” said Nathalie Gavarino, the leading judge
The couple, who have five children, were additionally convicted of employing their two eldest, Marie and Charles, between 2005 and 2007, paying them a combined €117,000.
A third accused, Marc Jouland, who took over Fillon’s constituency as MP in the Assemblée Nationale while he was prime minister was given a three-year suspended sentence and fined €20,000.
François Fillon previously served as prime minister in Nicolas Sarkozy’s centre-right government between 2007 and 2012.
Trump Finally Wears Mask In Public [PHOTOS]
U.S. President Donald Trump surprised the world by wearing a mask in public for the first time since the outbreak of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Trump had previously refused to wear masks in public, although he had said he would if in a crowd and could not maintain physical distance from others.
He had come under sharp criticisms even from his fellow Republican Party members, who said his stance showed lack of example or leadership.
He finally did that during a visit to the Walter Reed National Military Medical Centre outside Washington where he met wounded soldiers and frontline healthcare workers.
See more photos below.
US Formally Withdraws From World Health Organisation
The Trump administration has formally withdrawn the United States from the World Health Organisation (WHO), breaking ties with the international health body as the country’s death toll from coronavirus surpassed 130,000.
The US notice of withdrawal, effective from July 6 2021, was formally submitted to the United Nations secretary-general, the depository for the WHO, on Monday, a senior administration official told The Telegraph of UK.
Bob Mendez, a Democratic senator for New Jersey, revealed Congress had been notified of the decision on Tuesday as he criticised the move, pointing out that the country was still “in the midst of a pandemic.”
“Congress received notification that POTUS (President of the United States) officially withdrew the US from the @WHO in the midst of a pandemic,” Senator Menendez, the top Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee, wrote on Twitter.
The withdrawal follows through on a threat by Trump earlier this year and comes as the country continues to see tens of thousands of new coronavirus cases each day.
Ex-UK Politician Eric Joyce Pleads Guilty To Making Indecent Videos Of Children With His Phone
A former UK politician, Eric Joyce has pled guilty to making indecent videos of children using his phone.
The Former Labour MP, Eric Joyce, arrived at Ipswich Crown Court today Tuesday before he admitted the child sex offence.
Joyce, from Worlingworth, Suffolk, was arrested in November 2018 for allegedly containing child porn on his phome but was soon released and put under investigation.
Last month he was summoned to appear before magistrates last month in the UK after he was accused of making a video of the most serious sex offenders category on his phone between August 2013 and November 2018.
Joyce, 59, who was MP for Falkirk in Scotland between 2000 and 2012, has been ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register.
Speaking today, Judge Emma Peters said that the single 51-second clip ‘depicts a number of children’.
She added: ‘Some are quite young, one is said to be 12 months old. clearly a category-A movie.’
Judge Peters told the court that Joyce claimed he accessed the video ‘via an email which he says was a spam email’.
She added: ‘At the time he was drinking heavily and he has now undergone work with the Lucy Faithfull Foundation and a psychotherapist.’
Judge Peters added: ‘It’s going to be a question of whether it’s immediate or suspended. ‘You will be required to sign paperwork today acknowledging that you are immediately on the sex offenders register.’
She said the court ‘takes such incidents very seriously’ as they ‘fuel the abuse of children’.
After details of the charge emerged, a statement published on the Joyce’s website said: ‘I will make no comment from now until all legal processes are at a close. At that point, I will make a full statement.’
- Metro5 days ago
VIDEO: “My Wife Believed In Me When I Had Nothing, That’s Why She Owns Part Of Coscharis Group” — Billionaire Businessman, Cosmos Maduka
- News5 days ago
Place Magu On Watch-List So He Won’t Run Away — Fayose Alerts DSS, Army, Others
- Gist7 days ago
Hushpuppi Reportedly Hires Micheal Jackson’s Former Lawyer, Mark Geragos
- News4 days ago
I Never Received ₦4 Billion From Magu — Osinbajo
- News6 days ago
JUST IN: Ibrahim Magu Told To Step Aside As EFCC Chair
- News6 days ago
EFCC Chairman, Magu Reportedly Detained
- Metro7 days ago
Policewoman Shoots Husband With AK-47 Rifle For Not Picking Her Calls
- News6 days ago
BREAKING: Buhari Suspends Ibrahim Magu As EFCC Acting Chairman