Director-general of Legal Aid Council, Aliyu Abubakar has announced that the federal government will soon commence trial of 5,000 suspected Boko Haram insurgents held across various detention facilities in the country.
Abubakar said this while being hosted by Governor Babagana Zulum in Maiduguri, Borno state.
The Director-general of Legal Aid Council who thanked the management of operation Lafia Doyle for granting them access to detention facilities at Giwa Barracks, Maiduguri, Kainji correctional facilities among others, said they’ve so far interviewed about 283 of the inmates to ascertain the nature of the crimes they committed.
Abubakar further revealed that the trial would be conducted by the office of the attorney-general of the federation (AGF), office of the national security adviser (NSA) in collaboration with the theatre command of operation Lafiya Dole.
“As their defence council, we have to interview them from time to time to enable us to know their own part of the story.
“It so because regardless of the generous crimes they committed it is possible that out of hundreds, you may found out that one or two persons were innocent of the charges that they are being detained.
“It was necessary for them to be represented by council to make sure that the official fulfills all the requirement of the provisions of the law.
“All evidence must be presented against them before the court of the law so that those that were found guilty are prosecuted and face the consequences of their action.”
Metro4 days ago
Obi Cubana: Why I Spared Man Who Wanted To ‘Harm’ Me On Stage – Odumeje
News4 days ago
Banditry In Northwest Has The Potential To Swallow The Region And The Country — Gov Matawalle Warns
Inside Nigeria4 days ago
FG Extends SIM-NIN Linkage Till October 31
Metro4 days ago
Man Nabbed For Stealing Food Items In Anambra Says The Shop Was Open So He Took What He Desired